Due to the issue of COVID-19 we have guests cancelling reservations. Today I understand there has been a time window issued for bookings to be refunded if cancelled as part of forced majure (23rd May-13april) however we have bookings on non refundable rates cancelling bookings in May through to April yet demanding a refund even though they chose this non refundable rate. The reasons for some bookings being cancelled is down to events they were attending being cancelled... this isn’t our issue?
is anyone else having this issue? And am I right in thinking that normal non refundable rules still apply? I can’t get hold of booking.com so looking for some advice.