How do other hosts handle these situations (credit card declines)?
Hello! I am just wondering how other partners handle the following:
Winter is low season here but I recently had what would have been 2 very good bookings for the time of year.
However, both had "credit card declines" when I tried to process the bookings at time of reservation (These were at our non-refundable rate).
I always wonder if, in such cases, and given that we don't expect to be busy, whether I should take a "wait and see" attitude, although this is risky.
What do other people do with such bookings, especially when there may be 1-2 months to go, before the arrival date? My practice has been to cancel when the credit card doesn't go through. What do other hosts do? Deborah