Request refund for cancelled reservations

How can I request a refund for cancelled reservations that we paid commission?

Gd Dolidze 1 year ago

You cannot if you don't have a POS or web based distant credit card charging system.

If you have one of them you only need to use a valid credit card provided by the guest to charge the card. Otherwise If you have a chargable cancellation or no-show you should mark the credit card as invalid (even if it is not) therefore letting BDC know that you didn't charge the guest for cancellation or no-show. Commissions will not be calculated for such bookings. Keep in mind that BDC may check with a guest about it.