I have received an email to register my VAT number. I am a private person renting out my holiday home and I don't have a reg. company with VAT number. What do I do?

Profile picture for the user f
fluff 3 years ago

Hi Susanne,

I'm assuming you are In the UK ?

You are effectively self employed, depending on your declared income you will either need to be VAT registered, declaring and claiming all transactions or not registered and declaring/claiming none.

If the latter then inform BDC of that. You'll need to check what the current limit is for not being registered so you can quote that also.

BrookAve 3 years ago




There was two new tasks related for everyone to action :


1. Entity type i.e. full time host or part time lettings

2. provide VAT number


In your case you simply set #1 as option 2,

then for VAT you set it as your Social Security Number or PPS number , or the UK equivalent of.


The main reason for this is to apply different regulations  to commercial hotels listings versus small part time providers, as different EU consumer laws apply.


Also there is normally a ceiling limit per year where if you are not reaching it VAT registered is not needed and utterly pointless.


we all have until June 1st to reply and action it, so for now just wait until end of may and lets see where this is going first , as I want to see what the different EU cases are going to be in terms of guest rights




JOSÉ GRANDE 3 years ago

HI BrookAve, could yo help me whith this?

Hello, I am the owner of a small apartment that I have for vacation rental, I have received my draft of the income statement, there is part of the money I have received from airbnb.com from clients who have stayed in my apartment, plus that It appears as data that I must incorporate.
But there is no sign that the Spanish administration has the data from Booking.com or the money I have received through booking.com. Is this normal?
Can you explain how I should declare my income and pay my taxes in Spain on the money received through Booking.com?
Can it be done through the tax declaration or is it a separate declaration to pay VAT?
Does booking.com report the money that has been transferred to me to the Spanish tax authorities?
Does Booking.com directly transfer VAT money to the Spanish authorities?
 Do I have to do it? If yes, how do I have to declare VAT?
Could booking.com take care of managing and paying for me the taxes that have to be paid on my behalf, especially VAT? How?

Thank you