Offering flexible booking policies can help increase your bookings, but it can also mean more cancellations. To guarantee you get paid – and to save you hassle looking for replacement guests – we’ve developed Risk-Free Reservations. With Risk-Free Reservations, you’ll be guaranteed a payout, even if your guests cancel.Check your programme status
What are Risk-Free Reservations?
Our customers love flexibility. Having the option to cancel a room for free is something that a lot of guests value, and it can often sway their booking decision in your favour.
Actually, most guests that book with the option of free cancellation don’t end up using it – it’s just nice for them to have the option if they need it. In fact, around 70% simply honour their original booking without cancelling.
However, we understand that offering this flexibility can result in more cancellations – which can mean extra hassle (and loss of revenue) for you.
That’s why we’ve developed Risk-Free Reservations – a new way for you to offer flexible policies, safe in the knowledge that you’re guaranteed to get paid.
If a guest cancels a booking that uses these policies, we’ll do the extra work to find you a replacement guest – and if we can’t find one, we’ll pay you in full for that booking.
How do Risk-Free Reservations work?
To make your property more appealing to potential bookers, you can offer guests an upgraded (more flexible) cancellation policy.
With Risk-Free Reservations, if a guest books this flexible option and later decides to cancel, we’ll try to find a new guest to take their place. If we can’t find one, we’ll cover the full cost of the initial reservation ourselves.
So, no matter what happens, you get your money.
What’s more, the Risk-Free Reservations programme is completely free. There are no extra charges or commission. And there’s no need to worry about extra work – we’ll take care of it.
What other criteria are there for Risk-Free Reservations?
- To join the Risk-Free Reservations programme, your property needs to be part of Payments by Booking.com, our payment solution for partners. To see if this solution would work for your property, have a look at our article on Payments by Booking.com.
- Risk-Free reservations only apply to a selected group of semi-flexible and non-refundable rooms and rates. We’ll show them to guests who we’re confident are looking to book – so they should help increase your conversion.
- We guarantee you’ll get paid – but the payment may take longer to arrive in your account than normal non-refundable rates.
What happens when a guest cancels/doesn’t cancel?
- If the guest doesn’t cancel, you can charge the credit card after the upgraded policy expires.
- If the guest cancels and we find a replacement guest, you can charge the new guest’s credit card as normal.
- If the guest cancels and we can’t find a new guest, we’ll pay you the price of the reservation via your preferred payment method (virtual credit card or bank transfer).
- To give you the best possible chance of welcoming a guest, we’ll use price incentives when looking for a replacement. However, this won’t affect the money you earn, because any discounts will be deducted from our own commission. If we can't find you a new guest, we will always pay you the full, original amount you had set for that room night.
Note that if you close availability while we’re looking for a replacement guest, Booking.com will no longer be liable to pay for these cancelled reservations, as there may not be any availability to offer a potential replacement guest.
How do I join the Risk-Free Reservations programme?
At the moment, Risk-Free Reservations are only available for selected regions and partners. If you fall within that group, once your property receives official communication about the programme, you’ll automatically be added to it.
What if I don’t want to join the Risk-Free Reservations programme?
We understand that some of our partners will feel this programme isn’t the right fit for them. If you don’t want to offer Risk-Free Reservations, just sign into your Booking.com extranet, go to the ‘Property’ menu, then click on ‘Policies’. Scroll down to ‘Risk-Free Reservations’ and opt out. If you’d like to rejoin the programme at some point in the future, you can use the same process to opt back in.
Note that Risk-Free Reservations is designed to benefit both partners and guests. If we detect improper use of the programme, we reserve the right to disable Risk-Free Reservations for properties not complying with our terms of service.