Creating house rules for holiday rentals
Whether you rent out your apartment, villa, holiday house or ski chalet, we want you to feel secure about every booking you receive so you can welcome all guests with confidence. Sharing your house rules with guests is one way of giving yourself more peace of mind.
We know that holiday rental house rules can differ from house rules for hotels. That’s why we give you the possibility of setting your own rules for your property – and make sure guests agree to them before they make a booking.
Under the ‘Policies’ section of your extranet ‘Property’ tab, you can quickly and easily set up rules to address common issues around pets, smoking, parties and noise.
The house rules you set up in the extranet will be displayed to guests on your property page as well as during the booking process – and guests must read and agree to them in order to complete their booking.
House rules for multiple properties Depending on your property type, you may be able to set up the same house rules for multiple properties in one go. If so, you’ll see an option to ‘Apply to other properties’ under the ‘Policies’ section of your extranet ‘Property’ tab.
Additional house rules tips: things to cover when guests arrive
Whether you’re meeting guests in person or leaving a welcome pack, here are some extra points to address:
Neighbours Even if you’ve set up specific ‘quiet hours’ in the extranet, it’s good to remind guests to keep the noise down if your apartment is in a quiet building or neighbourhood. You could also mention that any fines resulting from complaints will be passed on to guests.
Extra visitors In the extranet, you can state that parties are not permitted at your property, but if you don’t want guests to have any extra visitors at all (or that it’s only possible at certain times), let them know in order to avoid any awkward or unpleasant situations.
Parking Even if you don’t offer parking yourself, it’s good to make guests aware of any parking options found close to the property (and any cost involved).
Safety and security Remind guests to lock doors and close windows when leaving the property. If your place has an alarm, provide clear instructions on how to turn it on and off. If you’re hosting guests at your private residence, put away any valuable belongings to be on the safe side.
Food and waste When it comes to cooking and cleaning, make sure guests know about any recycling procedures and where to dispose of their rubbish. You should also leave instructions on how to use the dishwasher, oven or any other kitchen appliances. If you rent out a room in your private residence, make sure you clearly label guests’ space in the fridge.
Shared areas and amenities If your property has a shared garden, terrace, swimming pool or other common area available to guests, make sure you’re clear on any rules when it comes to having drinks, barbecues or pool parties.
Emergency services Make sure you share emergency contact numbers with guests, including police, fire and ambulance services. If there’s a possibility you won’t be available to answer urgent questions, include an alternative contact person that guests can reach out to during their stay.
Your first steps with Booking.com
- How to receive and use your location verification code
- 5 features that give you more control over your listing
- I’ve already registered. Can I update my property details before I go live?
- Tips on getting your property ready for guests
- Logging in to your Booking.com extranet
- Why is my property page not available in all languages?
- Changing your property status to open/bookable
- Creating house rules for holiday rentals
- All you need to know about Risk-Free Reservations
- Risk-Free Reservations: FAQs
- How do I set up or change my check-in and check-out times?
- Can I set specific guest requirements to decide who can book my property?
- How can I set up my house rules clearly for guests?
- How do I report issues with guest misconduct?
- New partner restrictions: credit cards and prepayments
- How can I set up the key collection feature?
- How do I set up policies and payment methods before accepting reservations?
- Where can I find information about a reservation?
- How do I know if a reservation is confirmed?
- How do I know, and what should I do, when I get a booking?
- How can I customise and personalise my host profile on Booking.com?
- Sharing check-in information with guests
- How can I report guest misconduct issues via the Pulse app?
- How do I set up my host profile on Pulse?