All about ranking, search results and visibility
Your ranking on our platform is directly related to how many guests find your property when they search. To help you understand and get the best ranking, we’ve put together all you need to know about visibility, search results and our algorithm.
What’s in this article
What is a ranking?
A ranking is how we display available accommodation in search results. We sort the results based on what’s most relevant to each guest’s particular preferences. Those preferences include past search behaviour, specific market dynamics and a property’s overall performance.
The ranking makes it easier for travellers to find the right property for them, and helps you attract the right kind of guests.
How our approach to ranking has changed
Over the years, our platform’s approach to ranking has evolved and improved. That way, we can tailor each guest’s search results for them, rather than presenting the same properties to everyone.
We continuously adjust our approach and ranking algorithm based on feedback from travellers and their past search patterns. We also use machine learning and measure our partners’ performance to make the ranking system more sophisticated, dynamic and personalised.
The ranking system increases your chances of attracting guests who genuinely want to book with you. However, ranking is relative, as we can only display a limited number of properties per page. If one property moves up, another must go down.
Understanding your ranking
Found in the extranet, the Ranking dashboard tracks your property’s performance at each stage of the guest search journey. This tool updates regularly to show you the following results:
- Search results views – the number of times guests saw your property in search results
- Property views – the number of times guests viewed your property page
- Bookings – the number of times guests booked your property
- Popularity – the number of times your property shows in search results compared to the total number of properties in your city
Influencing your ranking
Your property’s position in search results depends on your own and your competitors’ performance, as well as what guests search. To increase your bookings, you need to be competitive and attractive, by staying on top of changing demand.
To provide travellers with the right offering at the right time, we suggest that you review the following regularly:
- Flexible policies
- Guest reviews
- External prices
- Property page score
To protect intellectual copyrights, the exact details of how our algorithm works are confidential. Rest assured that when we make changes, they’re never on a whim – there’s always extensive user testing and a well-defined evaluation process behind them.
Ultimately, our aim is to keep up with dynamic market trends, cater to guests’ unique preferences and make it easier for them to find your property.
Conversion and ranking
Conversion, the percentage of travellers that book after visiting your page, is one of the most important factors influencing your ranking.
Our algorithm is optimised for conversion and also helps us predict the likelihood of your property being booked. If a traveller uses specific filters to find and book at your property, our algorithm will then make you visible to others with similar profiles.
You can see your property’s conversion on the Rankings dashboard in the extranet.
Availability and ranking
To appear in search results on our platform, your property needs to show as available for the dates a guest is searching. If you don’t offer availability on those dates, searchers won’t be able to find you.
It’s a good idea to regularly check your calendar on our platform and keep it up to date. That way, you’ll be sure to get the most out of your availability.
Growing your business
- All you need to know about the Partner Referral Programme
- How can I get performance advice for all my properties in one go?
- All you need to know about the Visibility Booster
- What is the difference between the Preferred programme and the Visibility Booster?
- What is the Opportunity Centre?
- Becoming a Genius partner
- All you need to know about the Preferred Partner Programme
- Personalised performance advice – at your fingertips
- What is the Group Opportunity Centre?
- Maximising availability through opportunities
- Setting up products or promotions as a chain property
- All you need to know about Preferred Plus
- Adding a cleaning fee waiver for Genius travellers
- All about ranking, search results and visibility
- How can I analyse my guest review scores?
- Using your Genius Report
- All about the Ranking dashboard
- How can I increase my occupancy using the sold-out dates report?
- What is the Analytics dashboard?
- Accessing data to understand travel trends and attract more guests