How can I set up pre-authorisation for guests’ credit cards?
To comply with European consumer law, we’re asking all our partners to update their pre-authorisation settings by 1 September 2019.
Under these laws, you’ll need to state whether you pre-authorise your guests’ cards, and if so, by how much and when.
For more information on all the changes you’ll need to make before 1 September, have a look at our article on the new requirements.
Pre-authorisation lets you hold a (usually small) amount on a guest’s credit card between booking and arrival. This also lets you check if the card is valid. If it isn’t, you can request new details from the guest (to be sent within 24 hours), or make any necessary changes to the booking. Pre-authorisation is also a good option to help reduce the chance of no-shows. It’s easy to set up, just take a look below:
- Log on to your Booking.com extranet.
- Click on the ‘Property’ tab in the extranet and select ‘Policies’.
- In the blue box, select ‘Set pre-authorisation preferences’, fill out the relevant details and click on ‘Save’.
If the guest’s card is showing as invalid, please read this article.
Please note: Pre-authorisation is not the same as prepayment. Prepayment is when the guest is charged in advance, pre-authorisation is just a hold on their credit card.
To find out more about prepayment, take a look at this article.
Guest Policies & Payments
- How can I set up no-credit card details on my most flexible rate?
- Can I set up the same policies for all of my properties in one go?
- How do I attach a new cancellation policy to a rate?
- How can I set up the grace period?
- How can I change the breakfast type?
- How to waive fees with the Cancellation Fee Exceptions tool
- No credit card details for domestic bookers
- Managing my services charges
- Last-minute bookings without credit cards
- How can I update my property’s WiFi internet settings in the extranet?
- How can I make changes to my property's policies?
- Why are there restrictions for setting up policies?
- Can I change or add policies myself?
- What type of policies can I set up?
- How to set up policies, rooms, rates and facilities for children
- How can I change cancellation policies?
- Making changes to your parking policies
- How can I set up ‘no credit-card details for domestic bookers’?
- How do I handle property damage by guests?
- How can I view guest credit card details using Pulse?
- Do I supply guests with invoices?
- How can I access guests’ credit card details?
- How can I set up pre-authorisation for guests’ credit cards?
- How can I set up a damage deposit?
- How do I mark a credit card as invalid?
- How can I change my payment preferences and which credit cards I accept?
- How can I make changes to deposit and pre-payment information?
- I'd like to set up a prepayment deposit. How can I do this?
- How do I handle guest payments?
- The guest hasn't paid the deposit/pre-payment. Can I cancel the booking?
- What is Strong Customer Authentication?
- Can I charge credit card and/or payment fees on bookings I receive through Booking.com?
- Can I mark credit cards as invalid in Pulse?
- Introducing payment solutions from Booking.com
- Payments - FAQs and all you need to know
- How can I join Payments by Booking.com?
- How much does it cost to use Payments by Booking.com?
- What to know about virtual credit cards (VCCs)
- Receiving bank transfer payments via Payoneer in Japan
- Temporary changes for virtual credit card activation date (VCC)
- How and when do I refund a virtual credit card (VCC) ?
- Cost savings and earlier activation dates for virtual credit cards
- Card validation and fee collection solution
- Card validation and fee collection solution for connected partners