How can I set up pre-authorisation for guests’ credit cards?
To comply with European consumer law, we’re asking all our partners to update their pre-authorisation settings by 1 September 2019.
Under these laws, you’ll need to state whether you pre-authorise your guests’ cards, and if so, by how much and when.
For more information on all the changes you’ll need to make before 1 September, have a look at our article on the new requirements.
Pre-authorisation lets you hold a (usually small) amount on a guest’s credit card between booking and arrival. This also lets you check if the card is valid. If it isn’t, you can request new details from the guest (to be sent within 24 hours), or make any necessary changes to the booking.
Pre-authorisation is also a good option to help reduce the chance of no-shows. It’s easy to set up, just take a look below:
- Log on to your Booking.com extranet.
- Click on the ‘Property’ tab in the extranet and select ‘Policies’.
- In the blue box, select ‘Set pre-authorisation preferences’, fill out the relevant details and click on ‘Save’.
If the guest’s card is showing as invalid, please read this article.
Please note: Pre-authorisation is not the same as prepayment. Prepayment is when the guest is charged in advance, pre-authorisation is just a hold on their credit card.
To find out more about prepayment, take a look at this article.
Guest Policies & Payments
- Allowing guests to book without credit card details
- Can I set up the same policies for all of my properties in one go?
- How can I set up the grace period?
- Managing my services charges
- Updating your internet, pets and parking policies
- Setting up or changing your property’s policies
- Setting up cancellation policies
- Do I supply guests with invoices?
- Accessing guests’ credit card details
- How can I set up pre-authorisation for guests’ credit cards?
- Everything you need to know about damage policy options
- Handling invalid credit cards
- How can I change my payment preferences and which credit cards I accept?
- Setting up a prepayment policy
- How do I handle guest payments?
- Everything you need to know about Strong Customer Authentication
- Can I charge credit card and/or payment fees on bookings I receive through Booking.com?
- Understanding the new cash payment feature in your Guest Payment Options
- Introducing payment services from Booking.com
- Payments: FAQs
- Understanding Payments by Booking.com
- How much Payments by Booking.com costs
- Everything you need to know about virtual credit cards
- Refunding virtual credit cards (VCCs)
- Understanding when your virtual credit cards are activated
- Card validation and fee collection solution
- Card validation and fee collection solution for connected partners
- US Payments Ranking Benefit: how extra visibility in search results works for US properties using Payments by Booking.com
- Booking Holdings Financial Services
- Activating and processing payments with Booking Holdings Financial Services
- Identifying and verifying yourself for Booking Holdings Financial Services
- Submitting a complaint about Booking Holdings Financial Services
- FAQ: Booking Holdings Financial Services
- Booking Holdings Financial Services Payments Agreement
- Booking Holdings Financial Services Privacy Statement
- Payments FAQs for property management companies in the US and Canada