Card validation and fee collection solution for connected partners
To help reduce the workload associated with payments, we’ve created a credit card validation and cancellation fee collection solution. It takes care of validating guests’ credit cards, charging cancellation or no-show fees and taking liability for any chargebacks, with the ultimate goal of establishing strong customer authentication.
The solution is only available to properties that use Payments By Booking and that have at least one non-prepayment and free cancellation policy active. This includes properties who use third-party systems to manage reservations and payments. This article provides additional guidance on this solution for partners using third-party connectivity solutions.
What's in this article
How the solution works
You can opt in to the solution on the Policies page of the extranet. This is currently not possible through your channel manager or PMS platform. Once you opt in, you’ll get a message with every reservation reminding you that we’ll validate the credit card details for the reservation.
If your PMS doesn’t accept reservations without credit card details, we’ll insert a dummy (non-chargeable) credit card as a placeholder to make sure you can receive the reservation. You don’t need to take any action with the dummy card.
Read this article for more information on the card validation and fee collection solution.
Adjusted automated payment procedures
If you use a payment solution provider system to perform automated checks on guest credit cards, you’ll need to make some adjustments to it. For reservations where we validate credit cards, you’ll need to change settings in your payment systems to allow for the dummy credit card instead. This is because these reservations will not contain valid credit card details.
If your reservation management system sends these reservations over to your payment solution without this adjustment being made, the authorisation process may fail. If this happens, be sure not to mark these reservations with the Invalid CC status if you haven’t made the adjustment to your payment solution provider’s system. Make sure to check that your system doesn’t attempt to do so.
Collecting fees via VCC in the extranet
In cases of no-shows or late cancellations, we’ll attempt to charge the guest credit card on your behalf. We’ll transfer the fee to you via virtual credit card (VCC) in the Booking.com extranet – you’ll need to be logged in to collect this payment. These VCCs with fees will only be available in the Booking.com extranet and not in your channel manager or PMS.
If the fee collection is unsuccessful, we’ll automatically waive our commission for those reservations. If a guest disputes a late cancellation or no-show fee after we’ve charged them, we’ll take the liability for these chargebacks. You won’t be expected to take any action or refund the fee.
Guest Policies & Payments
- Setting up no-credit card details on your most flexible rate
- Can I set up the same policies for all of my properties in one go?
- How do I attach a new cancellation policy to a rate?
- How can I set up the grace period?
- How can I change the breakfast type?
- How to waive fees with the Cancellation Fee Exceptions tool
- No credit card details for domestic bookers
- Managing my services charges
- Last-minute bookings without credit cards
- How can I update my property’s WiFi internet settings in the extranet?
- How can I make changes to my property's policies?
- Why are there restrictions for setting up policies?
- Can I change or add policies myself?
- What type of policies can I set up?
- How to set up policies, rooms, rates and facilities for children
- How can I change cancellation policies?
- Making changes to your parking policies
- How can I set up ‘no credit-card details for domestic bookers’?
- How do I handle property damage by guests?
- How can I view guest credit card details using Pulse?
- Do I supply guests with invoices?
- How can I access guests’ credit card details?
- How can I set up pre-authorisation for guests’ credit cards?
- How can I set up a damage deposit?
- How do I mark a credit card as invalid?
- How can I change my payment preferences and which credit cards I accept?
- How can I make changes to deposit and pre-payment information?
- I'd like to set up a prepayment deposit. How can I do this?
- How do I handle guest payments?
- The guest hasn't paid the deposit/pre-payment. Can I cancel the booking?
- What is Strong Customer Authentication?
- Can I charge credit card and/or payment fees on bookings I receive through Booking.com?
- Can I mark credit cards as invalid in Pulse?
- Introducing payment solutions from Booking.com
- Payments - FAQs and all you need to know
- How can I join Payments by Booking.com?
- How much does it cost to use Payments by Booking.com?
- What to know about virtual credit cards (VCCs)
- Receiving bank transfer payments via Payoneer in Japan
- Temporary changes for virtual credit card activation date (VCC)
- How and when do I refund a virtual credit card (VCC) ?
- Cost savings and earlier activation dates for virtual credit cards
- Card validation and fee collection solution
- Card validation and fee collection solution for connected partners