All you need to know about the Quality Rating for home and apartment-like properties
In 2019, we introduced a quality rating system for homes and apartments that are listed on Booking.com. This system is similar to the star system that already exists for hotels.
Before the quality rating was introduced, guests were not able to search for homes and apartments by stars on Booking.com. To improve our services, we designed this new system to help guests easily find properties that match their requirements.
Note: To provide our accommodation partners with more insight into how their ratings are created, we have built a new page in the extranet. More information about this page can be found in the “How can I maintain my property rating?” section of this article.
The quality ratings are based on an algorithm which takes into account factors such as the completeness of property information in the extranet, cleanliness review scores, and more. For partners looking to achieve an accurate and positive rating, we recommend that they make sure that:
- All facilities and amenities are correctly configured for all available units.
- All unit sizes and bed configurations are correctly configured for all available units.
We also recommend that when filling in this information, partners should reflect the reality of their property as accurately as possible.
At the moment, there are 11 property types on Booking.com that will be rated using this system. We started with apartments, holiday homes and villas – and we’ve now added guest houses, B&Bs, aparthotels, country houses, farmstays, chalets, riads, and gites too. For these eight new property types the rating only applies for those properties with private units. This means that any property with a shared bathroom, shared toilet or shared bedroom (such as a dormitory room) will be ineligible for the quality rating.
On top of that, to be included in this rating system, your property must have:
All sizes, bathrooms and bedrooms configured for all open-bookable units
No existing star rating in the extranet If your property has a review score you need to have an overall cleanliness score of 6.0 or higher.
We know that properties with quality ratings get more bookings, so there is currently no option to remove the rating from your property.
If your property has been awarded a quality rating, you will see a dedicated ‘Quality Rating / Property Page Score’ page in the extranet, under the ‘Property’ tab. This coincides with the former ‘Property Page Score’ page.
If your property hasn’t yet received a quality rating, you will continue to see the ‘Property Page Score’ page. Please note that the Property Page Score can still be found on this page, and it continues to operate the same way.
This page provides you with insights to understand your current quality rating. This page is also where you can find information about your Property Page Score.
This page also provides what we call ‘Highlights’, where the 6 most impactful categories are showcased. However, other facilities, amenities and services are still very important for the quality rating, and you should always make sure to have them updated.
We also added a new section called ‘Suggestions’ which shows tailored recommendations on which facilities and/or amenities you should add to increase the quality of your property. This is currently only available for apartments, holiday homes and villas.
Note: The Property Page Score is an essential part of the quality rating and therefore you should focus on reaching a Property Page Score of 100%.
We review quality ratings on a rolling basis, so changes you make will not be immediately reflected in your rating, but they could quickly improve your review score, which will help you get more bookings!
Yes, all eligible properties are included in this rating system. To see if you’re eligible, check the information in this section.
We're working hard to give quality ratings to all non-hotel properties, so if you're not included right now, you should receive a rating soon.
Not all properties qualify for a rating, so being awarded any quality rating is a great thing! The rating is based on many things, such as the size and location of your property, amenities and facilities you offer, your cleanliness and overall review scores. Remember, these ratings aren't permanent and are periodically updated to be as accurate as possible.
No. This rating system is designed to complement guest reviews to help potential guests find what they’re looking for with more ease and accuracy.
All guests browsing Booking.com as well as the Booking.com apps will be able to see ratings.
We regularly check to see if there are new properties that meet our eligibility criteria. Once your property has been verified as eligible, your quality rating will be displayed next to your property name. Please be aware that when you update your settings in the extranet, it can take some time before your new rating is displayed.
Each property’s rating is based on the information you’ve configured in the Booking.com system (facilities, amenities, photos, sizes, bedrooms, bathrooms), guest review score, and a machine learning algorithm. If your properties have different ratings, it’s surely because one or more of these criteria differ.
The machine learning algorithm we use looks at upwards of 400 different features (ranging from facilities, amenities, services, interior photos, unit configuration) and then highlights the top most impactful categories that set you apart from properties around you with a lower quality rating.
The quality rating and all other information on this page update on a rolling basis, not instantly.
There are no changes to how Property Page Score is calculated, it continues to work as normal.
Your property page content
- How can I create the perfect property page?
- How to change or update your property address
- How can I change my contact details?
- Changing your property description
- How can I update my property's facilities?
- How can I add information to ‘The fine print'?
- How can I change information about my internet connection?
- How to rename your property listing title
- How can I change my position on the map?
- How to let your guests know when a facility is temporarily closed?
- All you need to know about the Quality Rating for home and apartment-like properties
- How do I get my property’s map coordinates from Google Maps?
- How to show guests what I do to protect them in regard to coronavirus?
- Updating your sustainability practices
- Guest Q&A feature
- Displaying cleanliness measures
- What is the Work-Friendly Programme?
- How to update check-in services
- Optimising the traveller search experience to boost visibility
- How to use the room differentiation tool to generate more high-value bookings
- Updating your swimming pool facility details
- What photos do I need for my home, apartment or holiday rental?
- What photos do I need to attract more families to my property?
- What photos do I need for my hotel?
- What are guest-generated photos?
- How do I add, change and update my photos?
- How do I rotate photos?
- Why are some photos not showing on my page?
- How to take better photos of your property
- How can I add photos of specific rooms or units?
- How can I tag my photos?
- Why is the order of photos different on my property page and the extranet?
- How can I change my main photo?
- How can I change the order of my photos?
- How can I delete a photo?