How to use the room differentiation tool to generate more high-value bookings
The room differentiation tool in the extranet helps you get more bookings for your more expensive room and unit types. This tool works by helping travellers find the rooms and units at your property that are best suited to them. To do this, it helps you highlight the features that make each room or unit different from the others.
The tool helps highlight amenities and services that you offer but which you don’t currently showcase to potential guests. Offering greater variety to travellers searching for specific amenities – and helping them understand which of your rooms and units have those amenities – means they’re willing to pay more for the ones that are right for them.
What’s in this article
Benefits of the tool
Travellers are more likely to book a more expensive option if it’s clear what they’re getting for the extra money. If your rooms or units have features or amenities that are distinct from one another, making those differences clear can work in your favour.
When you highlight particular features or amenities, your property may also be more visible in search results for travellers who are looking for those features.
Being clearer about the differences between your rooms and units may also encourage more guests to choose a paid upgrade to a more expensive option between booking and checking in.
In addition, providing extra clarity about what’s available in each room or unit may save you time by helping reduce the number of messages you receive asking for this information.
How to use the tool
The tool estimates how complete your room and unit information is at the moment, and then it recommends actions you can take to quickly highlight your most attractive room and unit amenities.
We base these recommendations on data from:
- Your guest reviews
- Your room and unit descriptions
- Amenities in your other rooms and units
- The most popular amenities on our platform according to our research and data
The tool divides the recommendations into six categories:
- Room or unit amenity information that you’re missing
- The most popular amenities on our platform
- Amenities you offer that you’re not displaying photos of
- Suggestions for improving your photos
- Information about room or unit size that you’re missing
- Exclusive services you’re not currently showcasing
You can then choose the recommendations you want to take action on, and select each one to add or update the necessary information. Once you save your changes, we’ll update the information in the extranet and on your property page.
Here’s how to get started using the tool:
- Log in to the extranet
- Click on Property and then click on Property page score
- Under What's the difference between your room types?, click on Adjust room information
- Follow the steps to generate and implement the tool’s recommendations
Does this tool influence my content score or my ranking in search results?
It doesn’t influence your content score at the moment, and if that changes in the future then we’ll let you know. It doesn’t directly influence your ranking in search results either, but providing the recommended information can indirectly boost your visibility among travellers who are searching for features your rooms or units offer.
Where does the information for the tool’s recommendations come from?
The information the tool uses comes from multiple places. We check your guest reviews and room or unit descriptions so that we can make recommendations based on what guests say they’re looking for. We also analyse data about the most attractive and unique features on our platform.
Where is my updated room or unit information displayed?
We’ll add the information you provide to your property page, including to the sections about specific rooms and units. We’ll also use this information to help make sure your rooms or units appear in relevant search results when travellers are looking for features that you offer. And when we make guests an upgrade offer for a higher-priced room or unit at your property, we’ll also show them information about the features that make that room or unit different.
Can I use this tool via my Connectivity provider?
No, at the moment the tool is only available in the extranet, but we’re working to also make it available via Connectivity providers soon.
Do I have to use this tool?
No, you can decide whether or not to use it – but it’s a quick and easy way to update various different room or unit details at once, and using it can help make your property more attractive to potential guests. It’s especially beneficial for partners who have several room or unit types with notable differences between them that it’s helpful to highlight.
Why have you reversed the changes I made using the tool in the extranet?
If you normally manage your property’s content using a Connectivity provider, it may overwrite any content changes you make in the extranet, including using this tool. You’ll need to continue updating your content manually via your Connectivity provider instead.
Why doesn’t the tool include property facilities too?
The aim of this tool is to help you clarify the difference between your different rooms and units, so it focuses on room amenities rather than property-level facilities.
Can I still use the tool if I only have two room or unit types?
Yes. Even if you only have a couple of room or unit types, the tool can help you clearly explain why you charge different rates for them. Understanding this may encourage potential guests to book the more expensive option.
Can I still use the tool if my rooms or units are all the same price?
Yes, even if you charge the same rates for all your rooms or units, the tool may still help you improve the quality of your room or unit information. It can do this by recommending that you add details of specific amenities that previous guests have mentioned in reviews.
Why is the tool suggesting that I replace duplicate photos?
We understand that you might not have different photos for each room or unit at your property. At the same time, we know that potential guests find it difficult to understand the difference between rooms or units if lots of your photos are the same. This is especially true for more expensive rooms or units, since travellers can’t use the photos to work out which additional features or amenities they’re getting for the extra money. If possible, replacing duplicate photos can help make this clearer and encourage potential guests to book a more expensive option.
Do I have to add photos of all my amenities?
We recommend that you add photos of the room or unit amenities that are most attractive to potential guests. The tool lets you know which amenities are most attractive, based on what travellers are searching for and what previous guests have mentioned in reviews.
Your property page content
- How can I create the perfect property page?
- How to change or update your property address
- How can I change my contact details?
- Changing your property description
- How can I update my property's facilities?
- How can I add information to ‘The fine print'?
- How can I change information about my internet connection?
- How to rename your property listing title
- How can I change my position on the map?
- How to let your guests know when a facility is temporarily closed?
- All you need to know about the Quality Rating for home and apartment-like properties
- How do I get my property’s map coordinates from Google Maps?
- How to show guests what I do to protect them in regard to coronavirus?
- Updating your sustainability practices
- Guest Q&A feature
- Displaying cleanliness measures
- What is the Work-Friendly Programme?
- How to update check-in services
- Optimising the traveller search experience to boost visibility
- How to use the room differentiation tool to generate more high-value bookings
- Updating your swimming pool facility details
- What photos do I need for my home, apartment or holiday rental?
- What photos do I need to attract more families to my property?
- What photos do I need for my hotel?
- What are guest-generated photos?
- How do I add, change and update my photos?
- How do I rotate photos?
- Why are some photos not showing on my page?
- How to take better photos of your property
- How can I add photos of specific rooms or units?
- How can I tag my photos?
- Why is the order of photos different on my property page and the extranet?
- How can I change my main photo?
- How can I change the order of my photos?
- How can I delete a photo?