Updating your sustainability practices
Travel has the power to transform lives for the better, but every trip also has an environmental, social and economic impact. We’re committed to reducing these as much as possible, but we can’t do this alone.
What’s in this article
In order to make it easier for everyone to make sustainable choices, we created a simplified, accessible model that makes it easy for you to start your sustainability journey.
Working together with non-profit Travalyst and the Sustainable Hospitality Alliance – a consortium of chief executives from ten global hotel companies – we developed and identified practices in the hospitality industry that can create positive change.
You’ll find 32 sustainability practices in the Facilities & Services section of the extranet. You can indicate whether or not you carry out each of these practices at your property. They’re divided into five categories:
- Energy and greenhouse gases
- Supporting local communities
- Protecting nature
You can learn more about these categories in our Sustainability Handbook on the Partner Hub.
- Log in to the extranet
- Click on Property and then select Facilities & services
- Scroll down to the Sustainability practices section
- Click Yes next to the practices you currently have in place at your property
- Click No for those you don’t currently have in place
- Click Save to display this information on your property page (it may take some time before the changes are visible)
We only show travellers the sustainability practices you have in place, not the ones you don’t. But selecting No still helps us to understand which practices you and other partners don’t yet have in place, so we can identify the areas where we can support you further.
If you work with a Connectivity provider, you can also add sustainability practices to your property page via their platform.
Please reach out to your provider to ask them about displaying your sustainability practices on our platform.
If you’ve implemented practices that we don’t currently list in the extranet, or if you’d like to starting implementing certain practices but don’t know how to get started, you can let us know by following these steps:
- Log in to the extranet
- Click on Property and then select Sustainability practices
- Click on Share your feedback
- Fill in the form and click Submit
You won’t receive a response to submissions via this form, but we’ll keep your feedback in mind when we make future updates to the sustainability practices available in the extranet.
Becoming certified isn’t a requirement for operating more sustainably. But it’s a great way to take your sustainability commitment to the next level.
We currently display sustainability certification information from these three accreditation bodies:
- Green Tourism
- EU Ecolabel
- All certifications accredited or recognised by the GSTC (click here for the full list of certifications)
We receive certification information directly from these organisations twice a year. If you’re certified by one of them, we’ll display that information in the sustainability section on your property page. If you can’t see your certification, please contact the certification body directly.
We encourage partners with certifications to also display the sustainable practices at their property, by adding them in the extranet.
We’re working to add information from more certification bodies to our platform. If you hold an accredited sustainability certification from another organisation and you’d like to display it on your property page, you can ask the certification body to make a request using this form.
We’re also working with the Global Sustainable Tourism Council to improve how we display certifications on our platform, so guests looking for a sustainable stay can easily identify certified properties.
To learn more about becoming certified, take a look at our Sustainability Handbook.
We work directly with our Chains team to collect and display hotel information from eligible chain sustainability programmes. For a chain’s programme to be eligible, it must be compulsory for all properties shown under the chain code in our systems. All of the properties also need to use the same brand name.
If there are levels to the chain programme (such as bronze, silver and gold), all hotels within the chain must achieve at least the minimum level. Travalyst’s independent advisory group reviews all programmes to decide which ones are eligible.
If you’d like your chain’s sustainability programme to be displayed on our platform, you’ll need to reach out to your Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) team so that they can contact us directly.
Your property page content
- How can I create the perfect property page?
- How to change or update your property address
- How can I change my contact details?
- Changing your property description
- How can I update my property's facilities?
- How can I add information to ‘The fine print'?
- How can I change information about my internet connection?
- How to rename your property listing title
- How can I change my position on the map?
- How to let your guests know when a facility is temporarily closed?
- All you need to know about the Quality Rating for home and apartment-like properties
- How do I get my property’s map coordinates from Google Maps?
- How to show guests what I do to protect them in regard to coronavirus?
- Updating your sustainability practices
- Guest Q&A feature
- Displaying cleanliness measures
- What is the Work-Friendly Programme?
- How to update check-in services
- Optimising the traveller search experience to boost visibility
- How to use the room differentiation tool to generate more high-value bookings
- Updating your swimming pool facility details
- What photos do I need for my home, apartment or holiday rental?
- What photos do I need to attract more families to my property?
- What photos do I need for my hotel?
- What are guest-generated photos?
- How do I add, change and update my photos?
- How do I rotate photos?
- Why are some photos not showing on my page?
- How to take better photos of your property
- How can I add photos of specific rooms or units?
- How can I tag my photos?
- Why is the order of photos different on my property page and the extranet?
- How can I change my main photo?
- How can I change the order of my photos?
- How can I delete a photo?