Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
Travellers searching on our platform want to feel confident that their bookings are flexible enough to adapt to changing circumstances. Allowing changes to non-refundable bookings can help you tap into the demand for flexibility while remaining in control of your revenue, workload and achieving better cash flow management.
What’s in this article
How date changes for non-refundable bookings work
Most guests on our platform book flexible rates in the event they have to change their plans at the last minute. More than half of all cancellations due to guests wanting to modify their booking occur because of date change needs. However, we understand that you also need security in your revenue.
That’s why we offer a date change for non-refundable bookings. It allows guests one change to their stay dates, without affecting the rest of their reservation. This added assurance reduces the risk of cancellations.
By enhancing your non-refundable rate with some flexibility, you benefit from secure revenue while also offering guests the confidence that you’ll be able to accommodate their needs.
Conditions for date changes for non-refundable bookings
The easiest way to guarantee your revenue is to automate the process for date changes for non-refundable bookings. Once you do this, guests will only be able to change dates under certain conditions. They’ll also be able to see the option on your property page.
These are the conditions for date changes:
- Guests can only reschedule for the same or a higher price
- Their booking conditions won’t change
- They can only change the dates of their booking once
- Their changes can only reflect real-time availability, rates and restrictions
You can also add additional restrictions, meaning you stay in control of the whole process. For example, you could limit how far in advance a guest can change dates – up to three, five or seven days before check in. You could also set block dates for when a guest cannot change dates.
Setting up date changes for non-refundable bookings
Here’s how to automate changes for non-refundable bookings:
- Log in to the extranet
- Click on Property and then select Policies
- Under Date changes for non-refundable bookings, click on Edit
- Check the box that allows guests to change dates, then select the deadline for making changes
- Add exceptions to the date changes if necessary
- Click Update preferences to save
Is the guest able to adjust their reservation to a lower value?
No, the change must result in an equal or higher value.
How many times can guests change their reservations?
Guests can make one change per reservation.
Is the guest able to change the dates for the reservation to fewer nights?
Yes, as long as the total booking value is equal to, or higher than the original reservation.
Can the guest modify dates for rooms or units with different refund policies?
No, the guest can only modify dates with the same non-refundable policy.
How does the payment process work if the new dates booked have a higher price than the original booking?
If you use Payments by Booking, the difference will be added to the existing virtual credit card.
If you use another payment method, you can charge guests the difference using the original payment method. Guests will be charged within 24 hours, or they’ll have to provide a new credit card to avoid the booking being cancelled.
Is the feature available for virtual credit card bookings?
Yes. The virtual credit card dates will be modified to match the new check-in dates.
Your Rates & Availability
- Syncing your Booking.com calendar to third-party calendars
- Configuring auto-replenishment on closed rooms and units
- Copying your yearly rates to next year
- How can I update my rates and availability?
- How can I update my availability?
- Updating your rates and availability
- Pausing your listing temporarily
- Supporting refugees from Ukraine
- Setting up dormitory rooms
- Setting up ‘No arrivals’ and ‘No departures’ restrictions
- How can I set or update room rates for different occupancies?
- Changing a room or unit name
- How to add, open, close and delete rooms or units
- Changing a room or unit type
- Setting up derived pricing
- How can I set up rate level occupancy?
- How can I add a rate to one or more room types?
- Changing the maximum guest occupancy for individual rooms or units
- Changing room facilities
- Setting up and updating pricing per guest
- Adding or editing rates for rooms and units
- Upselling your rooms
- Combining discounts from different rate plans and promotions
- Setting up deals and promotions
- Adding and editing meal plan information
- Setting up a Secret Deal
- Setting up a Non-Refundable Rate
- Setting up a new rate plan
- Setting up Mobile Rates
- Creating meals packages for ryokans
- Adding or updating an existing policy to Flexible - 1 Day
- Activating the Limited-time Deal
- Setting up Early Booker and Last-Minute Deals
- Setting up Weekly Rate Plans
- Setting up Country Rates
- Using the Genius free breakfast promotion
- Setting up a Basic Deal
- Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
- Setting up Flash Deals
- How to set up flexible children rates for your property
- Setting up US State Rates
- Understanding the Getaway Deal
- Setting up Monthly Rate Plans
- Understanding Long Stay policies
- Setting up an Early Booker Rate Plan
- Setting up Early 2022 Deals
- Updates to date changes for non-refundable bookings
- Flexible children rates – per-child pricing explained
- Using your availability, rate plans and policies to increase bookings
- Setting up a protected rate