Flexible children rates – per-child pricing explained
One of the new pricing options for flexible children rates is per-child pricing. With per-child pricing, you can set different price groups for children staying at your property.
You can also follow a step-by-step guide to set up various flexible children rates, based on your pricing strategy.
What’s in this article
How does per-child pricing work?
Based on your pricing needs and the types of guests you want to attract, you can set up different rates based on the age of children in a group. You can also set different rates based on the number of children in a group, for example the first, second and third child can all be charged at the same rate, or different rates, depending on your pricing strategy.
Firstly, you’ll have to create age groups. You can set a minimum of one and a maximum of three different age groups. For example, you may allow children aged 0-6 to stay at your property at a reduced rate. Any children aged seven or above would be charged at your regular adult rate, unless you create another, reduced-rate age group. If you choose to add a second age group – for example children aged 7-17 – you can add a different reduced price for that group.
You can also limit the number of children within a specific age group that are charged the reduced price. For example, you may only charge the first child aged 0-6 a reduced rate; any additional children aged 0-6 would be charged your regular adult rate.
A separate way to attract guests is by allowing the youngest child to stay for free or at a reduced rate. After the first child, any other guests under 18 would then be charged the adult rate.
It’s not possible to create overlapping age groups – such as 0-5 years and 4-8 years – but this won’t limit your flexibility in setting a pricing strategy.
Here’s an example – a family with three children, aged two, three and nine, want to book a stay. Your property offers a rate where the first child between 0-6 can stay for free, but also a rate where the first child between 7-17 can stay for a reduced rate. Any additional children in either age group will be charged at the adult rate.
Based on your pricing strategy, two child age groups are needed:
- 0-6 years
- 7-17 years
This results in a final pricing and age group set up that looks like this:
- The first child per category stays for free
- The second child is charged at an adult rate
- As there is a younger child in the group already staying for free, every child is charged at an adult rate
Bear in mind, this is just an example and you can set your own limits for the age groups and reduced rates.
How do guests find per-child pricing?
When a group including children searches for a property on our platform, they enter the age of the children at the start of the search. If you have your per-child pricing set up, the guest will see the most accurate price based on your rates.
For example, for a group with three children, aged two, three and nine, the per-child pricing will be applied during the search process. Both the two and three year olds fall in the 0-6 age group and the nine year old falls in the 7-17 age group.
Based on per-child pricing, the two year old stays for free, while the three and nine year olds are charged the full adult rate.
Your Rates & Availability
- Setting up dormitory rooms
- How can I set or update room rates for different occupancies?
- Changing a room or unit name
- Making changes to rooms or units
- Setting up derived pricing
- How can I set up rate level occupancy?
- Changing the maximum guest occupancy for individual rooms or units
- Setting up and updating pricing per guest
- Setting up or changing room rates
- Upselling your rooms
- Setting up deals and discounts
- Adding and editing meal plan information
- Setting up a Non-Refundable Rate
- Setting up a new rate plan
- Setting up standard children rates
- Setting up Mobile Rates
- Creating meals packages for ryokans
- Adding or updating an existing policy to Flexible - 1 Day
- Activating the Limited-time Deal
- Setting up Early Booker and Last-Minute Deals
- Setting up Weekly Rate Plans
- Setting up Country Rates
- Using the Genius free breakfast promotion
- Setting up a Basic Deal
- Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
- Setting up Flash Deals
- Setting up flexible children rates
- Setting up US State Rates
- Understanding the Getaway Deal for partners
- Setting up Monthly Rate Plans
- Understanding Long Stay policies
- Setting up an Early Booker Rate Plan
- Setting up Early 2024 Deals
- Flexible children rates – per-child pricing explained
- Using your availability, rate plans and policies to increase bookings
- Everything you need to know about the New Property Deal
- Setting up Black Friday Deals
- Setting up value adds
- Understanding Booking Sponsored Benefit
- Late Escape Deal
- Super Saver Deal in the US: FAQ