How to set up flexible children rates for your property
Flexible children rates were created to better suit your pricing needs. With them, you can now set up rates per room and rate plan, per-child rates and percentage-based rates. This will help ensure that your property is set up to meet the specific needs of guests travelling with children.
What’s in this article
What you need to do before you can set up flexible children rates
There are a few tasks you need to complete before you can set up flexible child rates:
- Your property needs to have at least one room type and one rate plan set up
- You need to have availability set for the room rate on the Calendar page
- You need to indicate that you allow children at your property on the Child policies and rates page
- You need to set occupancy for at least one child in at least one room type on the Child policies, occupancy, and rates page
Once all requirements are met, head to the Child policies and rates page on the extranet. Here, you will see a block introducing our new flexible children rates. Click the 'Get started' button to set up your new flexible children rates.
Setting or managing your children age group
If you already have standard children rates, the age groups you have set will be shown in the children age groups block. If you want to make any changes to them, you can click the ‘change age groups’ button, otherwise you’re ready to continue setting up your flexible children rates.
If you don’t have existing children rates, you will first need to set up age groups:
- Click the ‘Set up age groups’ button
- A modal will appear where you add different age groups (please note that age groups are set at the property level and you must set at least one age group, with a maximum of three age groups)
- Click the ‘Save changes’ button to save your settings
Once you’ve set up your age groups, you’ll be able to see them in the children age groups block.
Selecting your preferred room type and rate plan
You can set up children rates at the room and rate level by following these steps:
- In the room rate panel on the left hand side of the page, you will see the list of rooms that you have set occupancy for at least one child, making them eligible for flexible children rates
- Select a room type
- After you have selected a room type, a new block will appear showing the rate plans that have already been set up
- Select a rate plan
- At the top of the new block, you will see a summary of the occupancy and the last available room rate (closest adult rate set from the date you are viewing) for the room type you have selected. Below that, you will see the age groups that you have set up for your property – this is where you will enter the details of how these age groups are priced.
Setting up your flexible children rate
For each age group, the first thing you can choose is whether all children are priced the same or if some children are priced differently.
If all children in an age group are priced the same, you can choose from the following options:
- Free: There is no cost for children
- Fixed: There is one fixed cost for children
- Percentage of the room rate: The cost for children is based on a percentage of the room rate on a per child, per night or per child, per stay basis (Note: The percentage guests are charged will be based on a room rate with an occupancy of 2 guests.)
- Full adult price: Children are charged the full adult price
If some children in an age group are priced differently, you can set different pricing options for the first child, second child, and every other child.
After you’ve finished filling in all of the information for your age groups, you will see a preview of your pricing setup at the bottom of the page.
Note: The pricing shown here will not be exact, as it doesn’t cover taxes, fees, promotions, or any other additional charges. It’s just an example so you can better understand how the flexible children rates have been set up.
If you’re happy with how everything looks, you can click the ‘Save changes’ button.
Checking if your flexible children rates are active
Once your changes are saved, you’ll see a new block titled ‘Children rate setup’ which shows an overview of the settings per age band. In the top right hand corner you will also see an ‘Active’ badge, which indicates that these children rates are now able to be booked by guests.
In the room rate panel on the left hand side of the page, you will also now see a ‘Setup active’ badge under the rate plan you have set up. You can also see which rate plans do not yet have a children rate set up.
Please note that there will be a delay of up to two hours between setting plans here and seeing them reflected on your property page.
If you need to make changes to these rates in the future, you can do so on the flexible children rates page. You can access this page from the Child policies and rates page or directly through this link: Flexible children rates page. Once you’re on the page, you can click the ‘Edit this setup’ button.
Your Rates & Availability
- Syncing your Booking.com calendar to third-party calendars
- Configuring auto-replenishment on closed rooms and units
- Copying your yearly rates to next year
- How can I update my rates and availability?
- How can I update my availability?
- Updating your rates and availability
- Pausing your listing temporarily
- Setting up dormitory rooms
- Setting up ‘No arrivals’ and ‘No departures’ restrictions
- How can I set or update room rates for different occupancies?
- Changing a room or unit name
- How to add, open, close and delete rooms or units
- Changing a room or unit type
- Setting up derived pricing
- How can I set up rate level occupancy?
- How can I add a rate to one or more room types?
- Changing the maximum guest occupancy for individual rooms or units
- Changing room facilities
- How can I set or update room rates for different occupancies?
- Adding or editing rates for rooms and units
- Upselling your rooms
- Can I combine discounts on rate plans and promotions?
- Setting up deals and promotions
- Adding and editing meal plan information
- Setting up a Secret Deal
- Setting up a Non-Refundable Rate
- Setting up a new rate plan
- Setting up Mobile Rates
- Selling meals as extras
- Creating meals packages for ryokans
- Adding or updating an existing policy to Flexible - 1 Day
- Activating the Limited-time Deal
- Setting up Early Booker and Last-Minute Deals
- Setting up Weekly Rate Plans
- Setting up Country Rates
- How to use the Genius free breakfast promotion
- Setting up a Basic Deal
- Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
- Setting up Flash Deals
- How to set up flexible children rates for your property
- Setting up US State Rates
- Understanding the Getaway Deal
- Setting up Monthly Rate Plans
- Setting up an Early Booker Rate Plan