Selling meals as extras
If you let us know that you sell breakfast, lunch or dinner at your property and you’ve entered a price for any of these meals, guests staying at your property will be able to book them as extras. You can receive meal bookings any time after the guest books their stay, up until their check-in date.
Our data shows that 61% of guests want to book breakfast before they check in, and that offering guests the chance to book meals before check-in can increase your food sales by an average of 43%. It’s also a great way to improve guest satisfaction and help raise your review score.
This feature is currently only available to properties located in Portugal or Greece that have meal prices configured.
What’s in this article
How selling meals works
If you offer meals at your property, we’ll automatically show them to prospective guests at various points during and after the booking process, up until check-in. They’ll also see the option in post-booking emails and notifications.
We’ll send you a message if a guest books a meal with you on our platform, and charge our standard commission on any meals booked. You’ll be able to see any booked meals in the guest’s reservation details in your extranet, via the Pulse app or via your Connectivity provider.
Setting up meal prices
If you haven’t done so already, you can send us your meal prices by following these steps:
- Log in to the extranet and click on Property
- Select Facilities & Services
- Scroll down to Meals and click Yes
- Select which meals you offer and how much they cost
- Click Save
How will guests know that I offer meals?
We’ll promote all available meals at your property to any guests who book a rate without a meal included. We’ll do this at different points during the booking process on our site, as well as after they make their booking, via email, WhatsApp messages and notifications.
I run multiple properties. Does this apply to all my properties?
As long as you have a meal price configured for your properties, we’ll automatically offer them as extras. This applies to all properties in Portugal or Greece.
I already offer a rate that includes breakfast. Will this be affected?
If all your rates include meals, this change will not affect you. However, if you decide to offer some of your rates without meals then we’ll promote your existing meals to guests after they book a stay with you, up until their check-in date.
I only offer one or two meals a day. Will these be shown to guests?
Only meals you’ve set prices for will be shown to guests. To check which meals you offer and to update your prices, go to the Facilities & Services page of your extranet.
I serve meals via a third party or nearby restaurant, so I can’t guarantee that guests will be served. What should I do?
Please contact your account manager using the contact details in your extranet inbox or contact your local support team.
I offer meals but I don’t want to pay commission on them. What can I do?
We understand paying commission can sometimes be challenging. However, selling meals can significantly increase your revenue and guest satisfaction. If you have further questions, contact your account manager using the contact details in your extranet inbox or contact your local support team.
I work with a property management system or channel manager that doesn’t have the option of selling meals. What can I do if I want to sell meals?
If you’ve set up meals in your Booking.com extranet, you’ll receive an email notifying you of the change, and you’ll also see the information in the notification box in the reservation details. However, you need to make sure the change is also reflected in your PMS/channel manager. Contact your provider to find out where you can see reservation modifications involving meals.
If you have any more questions, contact your account manager using the contact details in your extranet inbox or contact your local support team.
How will I know when a guest has booked a meal?
We’ll send you an email as soon as a guest books a meal with you. You’ll also see the meal booking on your guest's reservation details in your extranet. If you work with a Connectivity provider or property management system that supports meal bookings, you’ll receive a notification there too.
How do guests pay for their meals?
When a guest books a meal, the credit card they used to secure their reservation will be charged automatically. If you’ve signed up to receive Payments by Booking then we’ll charge the guest and forward the payment to you.
Can I set prices for children's meals?
It’s currently not possible to set different prices for children, but we hope to launch this feature in the future.
Your Rates & Availability
- Syncing your Booking.com calendar to third-party calendars
- Configuring auto-replenishment on closed rooms and units
- Copying your yearly rates to next year
- How can I update my rates and availability?
- How can I update my availability?
- Updating your rates and availability
- Pausing your listing temporarily
- Setting up dormitory rooms
- Setting up ‘No arrivals’ and ‘No departures’ restrictions
- How can I set or update room rates for different occupancies?
- Changing a room or unit name
- How to add, open, close and delete rooms or units
- Changing a room or unit type
- Setting up derived pricing
- How can I set up rate level occupancy?
- How can I add a rate to one or more room types?
- Changing the maximum guest occupancy for individual rooms or units
- Changing room facilities
- How can I set or update room rates for different occupancies?
- Adding or editing rates for rooms and units
- Upselling your rooms
- Can I combine discounts on rate plans and promotions?
- Setting up deals and promotions
- Adding and editing meal plan information
- Setting up a Secret Deal
- Setting up a Non-Refundable Rate
- Setting up a new rate plan
- Setting up Mobile Rates
- Selling meals as extras
- Creating meals packages for ryokans
- Adding or updating an existing policy to Flexible - 1 Day
- Activating the Limited-time Deal
- Setting up Early Booker and Last-Minute Deals
- Setting up Weekly Rate Plans
- Setting up Country Rates
- How to use the Genius free breakfast promotion
- Setting up a Basic Deal
- Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
- Setting up Flash Deals
- How to set up flexible children rates for your property
- Setting up US State Rates
- Understanding the Getaway Deal
- Setting up Monthly Rate Plans
- Setting up an Early Booker Rate Plan