How to upsell your rooms
Room upselling simply means offering your already-confirmed guests the opportunity to upgrade their reservations. This is also known as a ‘paid upgrade’. In the industry, upselling usually means offering guests access to different rooms with better access to certain amenities and facilities.
While upselling rooms can also occur at the moment of check-in (for example, through your front-desk staff), there is a greater opportunity to increase revenue and reduce errors by automating and offering room upgrades to guests before they reach your property.
To help you offer your guests the best of what you have, we’ve developed a purpose-built room upsell feature, available to all our partners as part of the normal commission. The only action required from you as an accommodation partner is to add all your rooms in your extranet.
Once you add all your available rooms, we will handle the rest:
- Automate sending of upgrade offers to your guests, so that timing is just right and they receive your offers when it matters most to them.
- Help and guide guest decision-making through clear side-by-side comparisons of their current reservations and your upgrade offers, based on your available rooms.
- Integrate handling of your calendar and availability, so that your rooms are instantly released upon upgrades, overbookings can never occur, and rooms are never blocked following a successful room upsell.
Of course, room upselling is only applicable if you have multiple room types to begin with. If your property fits this description, you simply have to add all your rooms in the extranet to benefit from our room upsell feature.
In more detail - how does the upsell work?
When a guest accepts an upsell offer and their booking is modified, a notification is automatically added on your reservation details page. When expanded, the modification notice explains the details of the change.
Note that along with a room upsell there is no change to the reservation confirmation number, guest details, dates, or number of guests.
Lastly, Booking.com automatically sends the guest confirmation of their booking modification when it is made.
What types of guest reservations are eligible for an upsell offer?
The main criteria for room upsells to be possible are that:
- The guest must have chosen to pay at the property.
- The reservation is made on flexible or non-refundable policies where the partner has set-up a grace period, and the guest accepts the upsell offer within that specific grace period.
- There is a higher priced room available in your property, with the same occupancy and bed configuration.
Your Rates & Availability