Upselling your rooms
Room upselling, also known as a ‘paid upgrade’, means offering your confirmed guests the opportunity to upgrade their reservations. It’s a great way to increase your revenue with minimal effort. Find out what you need to do to upsell your rooms.
What's in this article
How room upselling works
Upselling usually involves offering guests access to different rooms with better amenities and facilities.
Although upselling rooms can also occur at the moment of check-in (for example, through your front-desk staff), there is a greater opportunity to increase revenue and reduce errors by automating and offering room upgrades to guests before they reach your property.
Upselling your rooms
To help you upsell your rooms, we’ve built a room upsell feature. This is available to all our partners as part of the normal commission. To make use of the feature, the only action required from you is to add all your rooms in your extranet. Read more to learn how to add rooms on the extranet.
Once you add all your available rooms, we will:
- Automate sending of upgrade offers to your guests, so that timing is just right and they receive your offers when it matters most to them.
- Guide guest decision-making through clear side-by-side comparisons of their current reservations and your upgrade offers, based on your available rooms.
- Integrate handling of your calendar and availability so that your rooms are instantly released upon upgrades, overbookings can never occur and rooms are never blocked following a successful room upsell.
Room upselling is only applicable if you have multiple room types to begin with. If your property fits this description, all you need to do is add all your rooms in the extranet to benefit from our room upsell feature.
What happens when a guest accepts an upsell offer?
When a guest accepts an upsell offer and their booking is modified, a notification is automatically added on your reservation details page. This modification notice will explain the details of the change.
There will be no change to the reservation confirmation number, guest details, dates, or number of guests.
We’ll automatically send the guest a confirmation of their booking modification when it is made.
Eligibility criteria for room upselling
A reservation is only eligible for upsell if:
- The guest has chosen to pay at the property.
- The reservation is made on flexible or non-refundable policies where the partner has set up a grace period, and the guest accepts the upsell offer within that specific grace period.
- There is a higher priced room available in your property with the same occupancy and bed configuration.
How the room differentiation tool can help you upsell rooms
The extranet’s room differentiation tool helps you get more bookings for your more expensive room and unit types. This tool works by helping travellers find the rooms and units at your property that are best suited to them. By helping you highlight the features that make each room or unit distinct from the others. Read more to learn how to use the tool.
Here are some of the benefits of using the room differentiator tool:
- If your rooms or units have attributes or amenities that are distinct from one another, guests are more likely to book a more expensive option if it’s clear what they’ll get for the extra money.
- When you highlight particular attributes or amenities, your property may also be more visible in search results for travellers who are looking for those features.
- Clarifying the differences between your rooms and units may also encourage more guests to choose a paid upgrade to a more expensive option between booking and checking in.
- Providing extra clarity about what’s available in each room or unit may save you time by helping reduce the number of messages you receive asking for this info.
Your Rates & Availability
- Setting up derived pricing
- Setting up deals and discounts
- Adding and editing meal plan information
- Setting up a Non-Refundable Rate
- Setting up a new rate plan
- Setting up standard children rates
- Setting up Mobile Rates
- Setting up and updating pricing per guest
- Creating meals packages for ryokans
- Adding or updating an existing policy to Flexible - 1 Day
- Activating the Limited-time Deal
- Setting up Early Booker and Last-Minute Deals
- Setting up Weekly Rate Plans
- Setting up Country Rates
- Using the Genius free breakfast promotion
- Setting up a Basic Deal
- Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
- Setting up Flash Deals
- Setting up flexible children rates
- Setting up US State Rates
- Understanding the Getaway Deal for partners
- Setting up Monthly Rate Plans
- Understanding Long Stay policies
- Setting up an Early Booker Rate Plan
- Setting up Early 2024 Deals
- Using your availability, rate plans and policies to increase bookings
- Everything you need to know about the New Property Deal
- Setting up Black Friday Deals
- Setting up value adds
- Understanding Booking Sponsored Benefit
- Late Escape Deal
- Super Saver Deal in the US: FAQ