How do I request mediation?
Reading time: 2.5 minutes
Highlights: This article details what mediation is, what it involves, and how Booking.com partners can initiate mediation.
What is mediation?
Mediation is an extension of our internal complaint handling process and is available for all partners and properties based in the EEA*. An independent third party will be acting as a mediator to help find a solution between you and Booking.com. This third party will attempt to facilitate the conversation between Booking.com and the partner for them to agree on a settlement of the complaint at hand.
* This is the list countries where mediation is provided by Booking.com: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City.
Note: we currently do not offer mediation to partners and properties based outside the EEA.
What is important to know
- Mediation is available for partners or their properties based in the EEA.
- Mediation costs are split 50:50 between partner and Booking.com.
- Mediation is offered in English.
- The mediator’s role is to facilitate; it should be the parties themselves to discuss/negotiate/find a middle ground.
How do I initiate mediation
Read the mediation protocol: here
- Copy and complete the e-mail template (below).
- Send the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will happen next
- The mediator will acknowledge the receipt of the request for mediation and will submit a request for prepayment.
- Mediation will start after the prepayment has been received by the mediator.
- A standard mediation process will include a few interactions with you and Booking.com:
- One call with Booking.com to understand the complaint
- One call with you to understand the complaint
- One joint call with you and Booking.com to discuss the complaint and situation
Q1: What if I cannot speak English comfortably?
A1: You can use your own translator.
Q2: What if my property or I am not based in the EEA, can I still use mediation?
A2: For the moment we only offer mediation for complaints within the EEA.
Q3: When can I initiate mediation?
A3: You can initiate mediation at any given time throughout the complaint handling process.
Q4: What happens when we cannot get to an agreement?
A4: The mediator will help facilitate the discussion and work towards a middle ground. Additional sessions can be utilised for as long as both parties feel compelled to work towards resolving the complaint.
Q5: Are there costs associated with additional sessions?
A5: Yes, the costs are highlighted in the mediation protocol, see this link.
Note: the email must be completed in English.
Complete this template and send via e-mail to: email@example.com
We are one of the accommodation partners of Booking.com and we would like to start a mediation with them. We are starting this mediation in regards of complaint .......... (complaint ID). We understand this works as follows:
- The mediation will consist of two separate intake meetings (1 hour each) and one joint meeting (2 hours). The fixed fee for this mediation process is set on € 997.50 per party, excluding VAT.
- We have read the mediation protocol, the framework agreement signed by Booking.com and ReulingSchutte (annex 2 of the mediation protocol), the general terms of ReulingSchutte (annex 3 of the mediation protocol), the MfN (“Mediatorsfederatie Nederland”) Rules and Code of Conduct (annex 1 of the mediation protocol) and the mediation statement (annex 4 of the mediation protocol). We agree that the mediation will be based on those documents.
- The participant(s) of the mediation on behalf of .......... (name and entity of the accommodation partner) shall be .......... (name/names) and contact details (email address and telephone number) of the participants.
Please send us the invoice of € 997.50 excluding VAT. Subsequently payment will be effected in order to start the mediation as soon as possible.The invoice can be sent to ..........(address/e-mail address) with reference .......... (internal reference for invoicing])and purchase number .......... (purchase number if applicable).
Feedback, technical support & contacting us