We all deserve to feel safe and welcome when we travel. However, according to our research 80% of LGBTQ+ travelers have had to consider their safety and wellbeing when choosing a destination. Through our partnership with the International LGBTQ+ Travel Association (IGLTA), as well as our role as headline sponsor of IGLTA 2023’s 40th anniversary global convention, we’re making strides to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, thanks to welcoming properties like yours.
1. Partnering with IGLTA to bring visibility to LGBTQ+ welcoming establishments
At IGLTA, making travel more inclusive for LGBTQ+ people isn’t just a priority – it’s their mission. As an accommodation partner involved with tourism, you can join IGLTA and gain visibility among LGBTQ+ travelers who rely on the association to find welcoming establishments around the world.
Our official Platinum Partnership with IGLTA, announced in September 2023, sets the stage for us to work together and make a meaningful impact for LGBTQ+ travelers worldwide. "We are excited to welcome Booking.com as our newest Global Partner and are looking forward to expanding our collaborations with them to support inclusive travel," said John Tanzella (he/him), IGLTA President and CEO. "Booking.com has consistently demonstrated incredible support to IGLTA, and their commitment to promoting safe and inclusive travel for all is evident."
2. Elevating the standard of travel for all with Travel Proud
IGLTA Accredited™ is an initiative launched by IGLTA in June 2023. It sets the international standard of assurance that travel brands are committed to LGBTQ+ hospitality. Although IGLTA itself doesn’t offer inclusivity training, it does recommend organizations that do, facilitating the accreditation process.
Our partnership with IGLTA has led to our Proud Hospitality training being recognized as an official training program. When you become Proud Certified, you get a head start in showing you have what it takes to be IGLTA Accredited™. It’s a strong signal to LGBTQ+ travelers that your property offers a warm and inviting environment. During the IGLTA convention, we achieved a significant milestone – over 50,000 Proud Certified properties on Booking.com!
3. Advancing LGBTQ+ causes through our IGLTA Convention sponsorship
As a headline sponsor of IGLTA 2023’s 40th anniversary global convention in October, we showcased our Travel Proud program to 700+ attendees from 36 countries and territories. We did this through our stand at the expo sessions, various events, and the invite-only IGLTA Foundation Think Tank. Director of Global Communications Kristofer Barber, who in July 2023 hosted an online webinar about our annual LGBTQ+ research findings, joined vital discussions that will shape the future of LGBTQ+ tourism.
We also hosted the largest Women in Leadership Networking event in IGLTA history, providing a safe space for women and non-binary attendees to connect. As the Presenting Sponsor of the IGLTA Foundation’s annual fundraiser event, Voyage, we helped raise over $100,000 to support the foundation’s work to elevate LGBTQ+ inclusive travel. By attending the main stage and breakout sessions, we gained valuable insights to benefit you as you welcome LGBTQ+ guests to your property.
“Our mission at Booking.com is to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, and with that, we really do mean everyone,” said Arjan Dijk (he/him), Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer at Booking.com. “We are delighted to be deepening our partnership with IGLTA and look forward to exploring additional opportunities for enhanced collaboration with destinations and other companies throughout the travel industry to ensure a future where we can all truly Travel Proud.”
We remain steadfast in creating a world where everyone can experience travel without boundaries. Our partnership with IGLTA reflects our commitment to building an inclusive travel community for all, where Proud Certified properties are recognized and celebrated.
- Our new Platinum Partnership with the IGLTA, announced in September 2023, spotlights our ongoing commitment to LGBTQ+ welcoming travel and inclusive accommodation partners
- IGLTA Accredited™, the international standard of assurance for LGBTQ+ hospitality, officially recognizes our Proud Hospitality training as a recommended training program
- As a headline sponsor of IGLTA 2023’s 40th anniversary global convention in October, we showcased Travel Proud to 700+ attendees from 36 countries and territories
- We also co-hosted the IGLTA Foundation’s Voyage fundraiser event, which raised over $100,000 to support LGBTQ+ causes around the globe
- At the time of the convention, we achieved a milestone of 50,000 Proud Certified properties on Booking.com