What you should know about location verifications
Janita - Account Advisor, Toniya - Coordinator Partner Hub, and I have been reading your questions and suggestions on the location verifications topic in the Community with attention. We clearly see how essential this topic is to you, and definitely understand the reasons. We also want to ensure a smooth onboarding experience and running of your operations for you. Below, we would like to share some information that you may find useful.
Why do we do location verifications?
All properties go through a location verification procedure and this is to ensure that Booking.com is a secure platform for both owners and guests. When you confirm your property’s location upon joining Booking.com, you make sure that guests can easily find it on arrival.
Additionally, we promote your property across multiple search engines and on affiliate websites, so it’s vital that we show guests the correct property location right from the start. This also helps you to manage expectations and provide a positive guest experience.
How does location verifications currently work?
- Once you complete the registration of your property, the location verification letter will be automatically sent to the property address.
- Once you receive your letter, it only takes 5 minutes to confirm your property location in your Booking.com extranet.
- It can take up to 25 days (including weekends) for your letter to arrive.
- If you have not received your letter after 25 days or if you are in an exceptional case where you do not have access to postal services or immediate access to the property you want to list on Booking.com, contact us so we can facilitate your location verification by alternative means.
- If you want to register multiple properties on Booking.com, each individual location requires its own location verification based on its unique address.
- There are alternative location verification methods available as well, allowing partners to be able to open without having to enter a code from a letter. This may be more appropriate for a number of reasons such as letters not being able to be sent. In these instances we do either a video location verification call where we video call the owner and take screenshots of the property to match with the images online and see street address, or an OTA location verification using a select list of other OTAs for partners who are Superhosts or have 5+ reviews.
Which feedback and suggestions have we heard from you?
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions on the platform. The below are some that we have noted and are taking to the team as ideas. These may not all be implemented, however it is a good step to bring them to the attention and discuss where we can improve.
- Do more video location verifications instead of post
- Fasten the process to address waiting for weeks
- Allow more time for letters to arrive properties before closing those properties due to being unverified. This way, also prevent blocking of bookings and payments due to closing of a property after guest stayed and partner honored the existing reservations
- Manage the inbound for the support team or location verifications team better so that they can give timely responses and help during the process
- Use address location verification from utility bills
What is next?
Our team will have a meeting with our colleagues who take ownership of the location verifications topic soon and share your feedback and discuss what we can improve in the process to support you all better.