Basics for improving visibility
We’ve laid out our visibility basics to help you attract more potential guests and increase your property’s ranking on our platform.
Organic growth on any platform can take some time, but it’s easy to increase your ranking and boost your visibility. The key is to make sure you understand the needs and preferences of your guests, then to tweak your content accordingly.
Even if you’ve been with us for a while, checking that you’ve taken care of the basics will help ensure you’re visible to the travelers most likely to choose your place. This is likely to naturally bring in more bookings.
What’s in this article
Understanding your audience
Every guest is unique, and their preferences and needs change over time. That’s why our ranking algorithm is optimized to meet travelers’ changing demands throughout their search journey. This, in turn, helps your property attract the right kind of guests.
A guest’s search journey can be split into five different stages:
- Explore: They’re thinking about going on a trip. They start searching for and exploring destinations, property types, particular facilities (e.g. swimming pools), prices, and dates.
- Compare: They’ve decided what their needs are. They start comparing different accommodations and assessing which one best fulfills their needs.
- Book: Having chosen the accommodation that best matches their preferences, they make a reservation.
- Experience: Their experience of a property begins the moment they make a booking, then continues through to the end of their stay.
- Evaluate: The guest evaluates their overall experience both during their stay and after check-out. That’s why guest reviews are a good indicator of how guests rate the quality of and service at your property.
You can get an even deeper understanding of your guests with the help of our Booker Insights tool. You’ll find this under the Extranet’s Analytics section, which you can use to see:
- Which countries guests book from
- Which devices they use (mobile or desktop)
- Their reason for traveling (business or leisure)
You can use this info to identify opportunities to earn additional revenue, for example by setting up special business or country-specific rates.
Optimizing your property’s performance
It’s important for your property to be visible in the different stages of a potential guest’s search journey. This will maximize your conversion rate (the number of traveler searches or page views that result in a booking).
Conversion is the main indicator of how well your property performs on our platform. That’s why our ranking algorithm is optimized for conversion. Here are a few suggestions for engaging potential guests and increasing your conversion rate.
We always recommend loading rooms or units for at least one year ahead. You’d be surprised by the number of early birds out there who like to plan trips far in advance.
If you haven’t decided what your rates will be next year, it’s easy to copy this year’s rates over to next year on the Extranet. That way you can buy yourself some time to think without missing out on those potential advance bookings.
To market your property effectively, you need to grab the attention of potential guests. You can do so by making sure your property page has attractive, high-resolution photos, a complete property description, and an accurate list of facilities.
This will not only help potential guests find the property that best matches their needs, but will also help you set the right expectations if they book your place. Under the Extranet’s Property section, the Property Page Score indicates how you’re doing with your content, and offers tips on how to improve it.
Value for money is important to guests, so your prices play a vital role in their decision-making while they’re searching and comparing properties.
We recommend choosing a pricing strategy that best suits your business needs, but also try to offer different Rate Plans that appeal to all kinds of potential guests. Think of the options travelers might be looking for. Some people can’t go without breakfast, while others are happy to book the lowest possible rate and buy coffee to-go.
However, it’s also important to set a competitive price within your market, as guests often compare accommodation options before booking. This way your rates will always reflect changing traveler demand.
Under the Extranet’s Analytics section, the Performance Dashboard indicates how competitive your rates are compared to your prices on other channels.
Remember, competitiveness isn’t just about price. To be seen by more potential bookers, try to offer some flexibility in your policies. For example, think about how you might be able to allow some wiggle room in your cancellation policies and restrictions.
Visibility basics – our top tip
Adding availability is the number one way to be seen by potential guests. Load your available rooms or units 12 months in advance and offer flexibility with restrictions. That way you’ll increase the likelihood of being seen by more bookers searching on our platform.
Managing your brand
Remember that during the stay, you are your own brand manager. Writing a personal welcome message and answering guests’ questions can really add to their overall experience. Message templates can save you time and help make communication with guests easier.
In the long term, managing expectations through your content and having good communication will help you to get even better guest reviews. Good reviews influence others to book since many travelers filter searches based on review scores.
Add a human touch by responding to every guest who takes the time to review your property, whether their review is positive or critical. Check out our tips for responding to reviews.
Want more tips?
You can capture the attention of even more potential guests with the help of our visibility tools. To find out more, take a look at this article.
- How to deliver amazing guest experiences
- 7 tips for naming your property
- How pricing and availability can bring you more business
- How to guarantee more income
- The key to filling up rooms
- Basics for improving visibility
- What tools can I use to boost my visibility on Booking.com?
- How does more availability help me get more bookings?
- How does the Property Page Score help me attract guests?
- All you need to know about reducing cancellations