How credit notes work
We issue credit notes to correct the value of an invoice we issued. This is usually related to mistakes partners may have made when handling reservation statuses – or the way we calculated commission fees. You can use these credit notes on your future commission invoices. For example, you might request a credit note if a reservation wasn’t canceled or marked as a no-show when it should have been. Another instance is if you agreed to waive a guest’s cancellation fees, but we still charged you commission for them.
We only issue credit notes under exceptional circumstances. For this reason, it’s important that you make sure the status of your reservations is always correct in the Extranet’s Reservations section.
In this article
Disputing a commission and requesting a credit note
You can dispute a commission and request a credit note yourself on the Extranet for reservations that are no older than three months. To do so, follow these steps:
- Log in to the Extranet
- Click Finance, then select Reservation Statement
- Choose the period of invoicing
- Find the reservation you want to open a commission dispute for and select it
- Check the box under the field that says Dispute commission amount
- Click the blue button that says Dispute reservation, located at the top of the Remarks column
- Choose the reason for the dispute
- Specify the details of the dispute
- Enter the amount paid by the guest
- Click Next
- Review your claim and click Submit dispute
When a dispute is approved, we’ll then issue a credit note. Keep in mind that you can only dispute commission for reservations that have invoices.
Requesting a credit note without using the dispute option
If there's a mistake in a reservation’s details or the dispute option is no longer available, contact us to explain why you’d like us to issue a credit note. For example, if you waived a guest’s cancellation fee but were still charged commission for it.
When you’ll know if your credit note is approved
It can take up to 14 business days for us to process your request. You’ll receive a notification in the Extranet inbox once we do this. Until then, there’s no need to contact us for an update.
What to do once you receive a credit note
Once we confirm we need to correct an invoice for you, this doesn’t mean we’ll send you a new invoice. Instead, your original invoice will remain valid, but we’ll also issue a separate credit note. This will show the amount that needs to be deducted from the original invoice, so you won’t need to pay this amount.
What you do with the credit note depends on its value compared to your original invoice.
- If it’s for the same amount as your original invoice, we’ll automatically use it to clear your original invoice – you don’t need to do anything
- If it’s for a lower amount than your original invoice, we’ll automatically apply it to your original invoice – you’ll need to pay the remaining amount of that invoice
- If it’s for a higher amount than your original invoice, we’ll automatically use it to clear your original invoice and apply the remaining amount to your next invoice – you don’t need to do anything
Keep in mind that credit notes don’t have an expiration date. You can use them for as long as you work with us.
If you have any questions, take a look at this article about paying your invoices.
Commission, Invoices & Tax
- How do I make sure my commission invoice is accurate?
- Can I manage my invoices using Pulse?
- What should I do if I paid my invoices but they're still marked "unpaid" on the Extranet?
- My property was auto-closed, but now I've paid my invoice: What happens next?
- How can I compare the commission I pay with the reservations I receive?
- How can I check if my invoice is paid?
- When will my account be charged if I pay by Direct Debit?
- Will I receive a new invoice if my original amount was corrected?
- How can I change the way I pay my invoices to Booking.com?
- How can I change my bank details?
- How can I pay my invoices?
- How can I change my invoice or banking details?
- Who can I contact with questions about my commission invoice or additional invoices?
- Where can I find the list of reservations included in my invoice?
- Do I need to send my Payment Confirmation after paying my invoice?
- All you need to know about Direct Debit
- How credit notes work
- Can Booking.com issue one invoice for all properties in my group account?
- Can I view all invoices in one place if I have multiple properties registered on Booking.com?
- I manage several properties. Can I pay all my invoices at once?
- I manage several different properties. Where can I handle my finances?