Setting house rules for vacation rentals
Whether you're renting out your apartment, villa, vacation house, or ski chalet, we want you to feel comfortable about every booking you get, so you can welcome all guests with confidence. Sharing your house rules with guests is one way to get more peace of mind.
We know the vacation rentals' house rules will likely differ from those for hotels. That’s why we let you set your own rules for your property – then make sure guests agree to them before booking.
Under the Policies section of the Extranet's Property tab, you can quickly and easily set up rules for common issues like pets, smoking, parties, and noise.
The house rules you set up on the Extranet will be shown to guests on your property page as well as during the booking process. Guests have to read and agree to them in order to complete their booking.
House rules for multiple properties
Depending on your property type, you might be able to set the same house rules for multiple properties all at once. If so, you’ll see the option to Apply to other properties under the Policies section of the Extranet's Property tab.
Additional house rules tips: What to cover when guests arrive
Whether you’re meeting guests in person or leaving a welcome pack, here are some extra points to address:
Even if you set up specific "quiet hours" on the Extranet, it never hurts to remind guests to keep the noise down if your apartment is in a quiet building or neighborhood. You could also mention that any fines resulting from complaints will be passed on to guests.
On the Extranet, you can state that parties aren't allowed at your property. If you don’t want guests to have any extra visitors at all (or they're only welcome to do so at certain times), let them know in advance to avoid any awkward situations.
Even if you don't offer parking yourself, we recommend telling guests about any parking options close to the property and any costs involved.
Safety and security
Remind guests to lock doors and close windows whenever leaving the property. If your place has an alarm, give clear instructions on how to turn it on and off. If you're hosting guests at your private residence, put away any valuable belongings, just to be safe.
Food and waste
When it comes to cooking and cleaning, make sure guests know about any recycling procedures and where to dispose trash. You should also leave instructions on how to use the dishwasher, oven, or any other domestic appliances. If renting out a room in your private residence, clearly label a guest's space in the fridge.
Shared areas and amenities
If your property has a shared yard, patio, swimming pool, or other common areas available to guests, detail any rules about alcohol, barbecues, or pool parties.
Share emergency contact numbers with guests, including police, fire, and ambulance services. If there’s a chance you won’t be available to answer urgent questions, include an alternative contact person whom guests can reach out to during their stay.
Your First Steps with Booking.com
- How to receive and use your location verification code
- 5 features that give you more control over your listing
- I've already registered. Can I update my property details before I go live?
- Tips on getting your property ready for guests
- Logging in to the Booking.com Extranet
- Why isn't my property page available in all languages?
- Changing your property status to open/bookable
- Setting house rules for vacation rentals
- All you need to know about Risk-Free Reservations
- Risk-Free Reservations: FAQs
- How do I set up or change my check-in and check-out times?
- Can I set specific guest requirements to decide who can book my property?
- How can I set up my house rules clearly for guests?
- How do I report issues about guest misconduct?
- New partner restrictions: Credit cards and prepayments
- How can I set up the key pick-up feature?
- How do I set up policies and payment methods before accepting reservations?
- Where can I find info about a reservation?
- How do I know if a reservation is confirmed?
- How do I know, and what should I do, when I get a booking?
- How do I customize and personalize my host profile on Booking.com?
- Sharing check-in information with guests
- How can I report guest misconduct issues via the Pulse app?
- How do I set up my host profile on Pulse?