Improving your Guest Review Score
Your Guest Review Score is an average of all the ratings you’ve received—from one to ten—from guests who’ve stayed at your property. It gives you insight into what guests think about your hospitality. A high Guest Review Score leads to better visibility on our platform.
In this article
Benefits of a good Guest Review Score
A high Guest Review Score is a type of verified review. It lets travelers know that others have enjoyed staying at your property, and it can help you attract new potential guests. Many travelers on our platform use the Guest Review Score to filter their search results. A high score can increase your visibility in these searches.
A high Guest Review Score also helps you qualify for:
Checking your Guest Review Score
Follow these steps to check your Guest Review Score:
- Log in to the Extranet
- Click Guest reviews and select Guest reviews
Here you’ll also be able to see other things guests are saying about your property and respond to reviews.
Keep in mind that the order of guest reviews on your page depends on the language the guest is browsing in. If your browser is set to Spanish, these reviews will appear first, followed by English and any other languages. Reviews with scores but without comments will appear lower on the page. You can’t respond to them because they must have a title or a comment.
Improving your Guest Review Score
You can improve your Guest Review Score by looking after your travelers’ needs at every stage of the booking process.
Before a guest arrives at your property, make sure that:
- All the information about your property is correct
- Photos of your property are up to date
- Booking details are confirmed and you’ve reached out to guests to see if you can help further
- You’ve read and replied to previous reviews and tried to fix or mitigate any problems former guests may have indicated
When a guest arrives at your property, consider:
- Offering a complimentary drink or snack while they’re waiting to check in.
- Preparing any resources they might need at the property (e.g. a map, drinking water, ear plugs, etc.).
- Letting guests know they can contact you if there are any urgent issues so you can resolve them on the spot. You can do this at the front desk or by setting up a WhatsApp/text feedback process for your property, which you can also use later to send a satisfaction survey.
After check-out, continue building a positive relationship with travelers by:
- Encouraging them to leave a review on our platform.
- Providing an incentive for them to return, such as offering a discount for future stays.
- Sending them a satisfaction survey to help you improve the overall guest experience.
Select the correct facilities so your property is more likely to appear when a future guest searches with multiple filters on our platform.
Replying to your guest reviews
Reviews—both negative and positive—are a great opportunity to learn and improve guests’ experiences.
We recommend replying to any reviews you receive in a warm and friendly manner that will encourage future guests to book with you.
When replying to reviews, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Use “we” instead of “I” when responding to positive reviews, and “I” instead of “we” when replying to negative ones. This way, you celebrate the hard work of your team while also taking responsibility for anything that might have gone wrong.
- Thank the guest for their review, whether it’s positive or negative.
- Personalize your response so it doesn’t feel like you’re replying with templates.
- If something is unclear, ask for more information.
Aim for a fair and objective reply.
Want to learn more about responding to guest reviews?
External review scores
Your account is automatically set up to receive guest reviews after setting your account to open/bookable. If you don’t have a Guest Review Score yet, we'll import and display external review scores from other trusted travel websites.
These reviews are imported from third-party travel websites that we trust and have similar standards to our platform. We review all external review scores every few weeks to make sure they’re accurate and up-to-date. We don’t display written reviews from other travel websites. As soon as you receive your first guest review on our platform, we’ll replace the external review score with your Booking.com Guest Review Score.