Understanding external review scores
External review scores are imported from other trusted travel websites for properties also listed on our platform. We import and display these external review scores for properties on our platform that don’t have a Booking.com guest review score yet. We do this because review scores—whether external or from Booking.com—are crucial for helping properties get discovered and booked, and can do a lot to help earn guests’ trust.
In this article:
Qualifying for external review scores
To calculate a guest review score for a property on our platform, we require at least one guest review of that property. A property that doesn't have any reviews on our platform might have reviews on other travel websites it’s listed on. In this case, we import these external review scores to help this property get discovered.
We only import external review scores from travel websites that we trust, and which have similar standards to our platform. We review all external review scores every few weeks to make sure they’re accurate and up-to-date.
Displaying external review scores
External review scores are most common for home properties, which tend to receive fewer Booking.com guest reviews. If your property qualifies for an external review score, it will be displayed in the search results and on your property page. This score is displayed on a white background to differentiate it from the Booking.com guest review score, which is displayed on a blue background. External review scores are numerical scores out of ten. We also display the number of external reviews used to calculate that score, but we don’t include any external written reviews.
External review scores are automatically displayed for all eligible properties, regardless of the score. It’s not possible to opt out of displaying this review score. We stop displaying external review scores as soon as your property receives its first review from a Booking.com guest. At this point, the external review score is replaced with the Booking.com guest review score.
- 5 tips to get more guest reviews
- Where can I see my guest reviews?
- Anonymous reviews on Booking.com
- Responding to a guest review on Pulse
- What are guest reviews and who can write one?
- Can I respond to a guest review?
- How long does a review stay on my page?
- Can I ask for a guest review to be removed?
- What order do guest reviews appear in?
- Everything you need to know about guest reviews
- All you need to know about Guest Insights
- Understanding the value for money score
- Understanding external review scores
- All you need to know about Guest Review Scores