Everything you need to know about Sharing Economy Reporting Regime (SERR)

Updated 4 months ago

Due to the new Sharing Economy Reporting Regime (SERR), we have a legal obligation to report information about our partners with properties in Australia to the Australian Taxation Office. You’ll find everything you need to know about SERR in this article.

SERR and what it means for you

SERR is a third-party reporting system that requires operators of electronic distribution platforms (EDP) to collect, verify, and report seller transactions to the Australian Taxation Office. 

Since Booking.com operates in Australia and is considered an EDP, we’re obligated to collect, verify, and report tax information about our partners who conduct business in Australia through our platform, as well as business transactions made on our platform. The data collected for SERR will be reported to the Australian Taxation Office bi-annually, before January 31 and July 31 every year.

Partners included within the scope of SERR

Partners with properties in Australia or one of its external territories are within the scope of SERR, regardless of whether their primary address is in or outside of Australia.

How we collect and share SERR data

You’ll be asked to submit all your tax-related details through the Know Your Partner (KYP) form. We’ll send you an email with a link to the form, and you’ll also see a banner with a link to the form on your Extranet page.

To fill out this form, complete these three sections:

1. Select business type and structure 

Select your business type and structure from the drop-down lists with these criteria in mind:

  • Individual: A natural person conducting business through our platform and considered a business by Booking.com from a tax perspective
  • Business entity: A legal entity or arrangement. For example, a corporation, partnership, trust, or foundation

2. Provide personal details, address, PEP information, and either individual or business tax details

To complete this section, you’ll need the following:

Business registration number

  • If you’re registered in Australia, choose Australia and add your Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • If you’re registered as a business outside of Australia, add your business registration number from the country of your business establishment
  • If you’re listing your property as an individual, you won’t be asked to fill this field

Tax identification number (TIN)

  • If you have a TIN from a country in the European Union, select the country and add your TIN number
  • If you don’t have a TIN, add your ABN

VAT identification number

  • If this field isn’t pre-filled or is incorrect, enter your ABN
  • If you don’t have an ABN, provide a VAT number from a country in the European Union (including the country prefix, if applicable)

3. Review summary and submit

If you don’t complete the form within 30 days, we’ll send you monthly reminder emails.

Note: Data about you will be submitted to the Australian Taxation office. Incomplete or incorrect data might result in an audit or requests from ATO.

Once you submit your KYP form, we'll validate your data against other information available on our platform and publicly. If you have questions about the validity of the data provided, reach out to us.

Is this article helpful?