Laws and regulations for short-term rentals in North America
Many locations in North America have laws and regulations that apply to short-term rental accommodations and services. You're responsible for understanding the applicable requirements in your location. We created a non-exhaustive list of external websites that link to additional information about rules for short-term rentals in select locations. We encourage you to consult the relevant website to make sure you comply with the applicable short-term rental rules.
Rules for short-term rentals in North America
Keep in mind, this list isn’t comprehensive. It isn’t updated in real time and doesn’t constitute legal advice. We strongly recommend you research and check your obligations with the information provided by local authorities. If you have any questions, contact the relevant local authorities or seek legal advice.
We can’t guarantee the accuracy of information accessed via third-party websites.
If you’re a government representative and would like to add your short-term rental requirements to this list, you can request this via our Public Authorities Portal. Check our guidelines for doing so.
Last updated on: April 17, 2023
Legal & Security
- Online security awareness: social engineering
- Online security awareness: Phishing
- Preventing unauthorized use of your account
- Securing your account
- Requirements and regulations for surveillance devices
- Digital event security standards
- Guidelines for room key access
- Keeping your property clean and sanitary
- Equipping your home property with safety devices, safety kits, and emergency plans
- Protecting your home property with security devices
- Partner Liability Insurance
- Identifying and acting on potential human trafficking of refugees from Ukraine
- Report a security issue
- Online security awareness: Malware
- All about our messaging security settings
- Why you need to complete the Know Your Partner (KYP) form
- How do I remove a property or end my partnership with Booking.com?
- My property is under new ownership. What should I do?
- Our animal welfare standards
- Where can I find my General Delivery Terms (GDT)?
- Complying with European Union consumer law
- Mandatory host type (professional/private) assessment
- How does parity work?
- Offer transparency and clarity through simpler policies
- Our Supplier Code of Conduct
- Understanding Force Majeure
- Handling emergency closures
- VAT and tax withholding legislation in Mexico
- Understanding short-term rentals
- Short-term rentals: FAQs
- DAC7: FAQs
- Everything you need to know about DAC7
- Non-discrimination guidelines when accepting or declining a booking request
- Laws and regulations for short-term rentals in Asia-Pacific
- Laws and regulations for short-term rentals in North America
- Short-term rental license requirements in New York City
- Everything you need to know about the Digital Services Act (DSA)
- Accommodation Agreement and General Delivery Terms