How do I mark a credit card as invalid?
Note: To make sure you aren't charged commission on reservations where you couldn’t charge the guest, we added flexibility to the procedure for marking invalid credit cards. You’ll be able to mark a credit card as invalid, even if a reservation is already canceled.
This is especially useful for non-refundable reservations because it ensures we know you were unable to collect payment. For non-refundable reservations, you can mark a credit card as invalid before the arrival date, and, up until the monthly commission, invoice is generated.
Note: You can mark credit cards as invalid in both the Extranet and the Pulse app.
If the guest’s card is showing as invalid, take a look at the steps below:
Open the Reservations tab on the Extranet and click the guest name or reference number.
Select Mark credit card as invalid on the right-hand side of the page (if you're using the Pulse app you can go to the Bookings section, click a reservation then scroll down and tap Mark credit card as invalid).
After you mark the card as invalid, the guest will automatically receive an email and a text message requesting new card details within 24 hours.
You’ll get an email when the guest updates their details, but if you don’t receive these within 24 hours, or the guest provides invalid credit card details again, you can cancel the booking through the Reservations tab.
Canceling guest bookings in the case of invalid credit cards
- If you don’t receive updated credit card details within 24 hours, or the guest provides invalid credit card details again, you can cancel the booking through the Reservations tab on the Extranet or on the Reservation details screen in the Pulse app. You can also cancel bookings until 3 pm (local time) on the day of arrival.
- For bookings made within 48 hours of check-in, if the card is invalid, the customer will have 12 hours (or until 3 pm – whichever is earlier) to update these details (instead of the usual 24 hours).
- The customer is always given at least 2 hours to update these details (i.e. if the booking is made after 2 pm on the day of arrival).
- For last-minute bookings of 10 or more room nights, partners can cancel 2 hours after marking the credit as invalid.
Note: For some reservations, we’ll proactively ask the customer to provide new details. You won’t need to request these yourself or report the invalid credit card. If no new details are provided, you can decide how to continue with the booking.
- We send a daily email showing your most recently received and updated credit card details. You can see an overview of invalid credit card statuses by using the "updated" and "pending" filters on the Reservations tab.
Guest Policies & Payments
- Setting up no-credit card details on your most flexible rate
- Can I set up the same policies for all of my properties all at once?
- How can I set up a grace period?
- How can I change the breakfast type?
- No credit card details for domestic bookers
- Managing my services charges
- Last-minute bookings without credit cards
- How can I update my property's WiFi internet settings on the Extranet?
- How can I make changes to my property's settings?
- Why are there restrictions for setting up policies?
- Can I change or add policies myself?
- What types of policies can I set up?
- How to set up standard children rates
- Setting up cancellation policies
- Making changes to your parking policies
- How do I set up "no credit card details for domestic bookers"?
- How do I handle property damage by guests?
- Viewing guests’ credit card details on Pulse
- Do I supply guests with invoices?
- How can I access guest credit card details?
- How do I set up pre-authorization for guests' credit cards?
- How can I set up a damage deposit?
- How do I mark a credit card as invalid?
- How do I change my payment preferences and which credit cards I accept?
- How do I make changes to deposit and pre-payment information?
- I want to set up a prepayment deposit. How can I do this?
- How do I handle guest payments?
- The guest hasn't paid the deposit/pre-payment. Can I cancel the booking?
- What is Strong Customer Authentication?
- Can I charge credit card and/or payment fees on bookings I receive through Booking.com?
- Can I mark credit cards as invalid in Pulse?
- How to check the status of a damage payment request
- Introducing payment solutions from Booking.com
- Payments: FAQs
- How do I join Payments by Booking.com?
- How much does it cost to use Payments by Booking.com?
- Everything you need to know about virtual credit cards (VCCs)
- Refunding virtual credit cards (VCCs)
- Understanding earlier activation dates for virtual credit cards
- Card validation and fee collection solution
- Card validation and fee collection solution for connected partners
- US Payments Ranking Benefit: How extra visibility in search results works for US properties using Online Payments
- Payments FAQ: US Home Property Management Companies