How do I set up pre-authorization for guests' credit cards?
To comply with European consumer law, we’re asking all our partners to update their pre-authorization settings by September 1, 2019.
Under these laws, you’ll need to state whether or not you pre-authorize your guests’ cards – and if so, by how much and when.
For more info on all the changes you’ll need to make before September 1, take a look at our article on the new requirements.
Pre-authorization lets you hold a (usually small) amount on a guest’s credit card between booking and arrival. This also lets you check if the card is valid. If it isn’t, you can request new details from the guest (to be sent within 24 hours), or make any necessary changes to the booking.
Pre-authorization is also a good option to help reduce the chance of no-shows. It’s easy to set up – just take a look below:
- Log in to the Booking.com Extranet.
- Click the Property tab on the Extranet and select Policies.
- In the blue box, select Set pre-authorization preferences, fill out the necessary details, then click Save.
If the guest’s card is showing as invalid, please read this article.
Note: Pre-authorization is not the same as prepayment. Prepayment is when the guest is charged in advance. Pre-authorization is just a hold on their credit card.
To find out more about prepayment, check out this article.
Guest Policies & Payments
- Allowing guests to book without credit card details
- Can I set up the same policies for all of my properties all at once?
- How can I set up a grace period?
- Managing my services charges
- Updating your internet, pets, and parking policies
- Setting up or changing your property’s policies
- Setting up cancellation policies
- Do I supply guests with invoices?
- Accessing guests’ credit card details
- How do I set up pre-authorization for guests' credit cards?
- Everything you need to know about damage policy options
- Handling invalid credit cards
- How do I change my payment preferences and which credit cards I accept?
- Setting up a prepayment policy
- How do I handle guest payments?
- Everything you need to know about Strong Customer Authentication
- Understanding the new cash payment feature in your Guest Payment Options
- Introducing payment services from Booking.com
- Payments by Booking.com: FAQs
- Understanding Payments by Booking.com
- How much Payments by Booking.com costs
- Everything you need to know about virtual credit cards
- Refunding virtual credit cards (VCCs)
- Understanding when your virtual credit cards are activated
- Card validation and fee collection solution
- Card validation and fee collection solution for connected partners
- US Payments Ranking Benefit: How extra visibility in search results works for US properties using Payments by Booking.com
- Payments FAQs for property management companies in the US and Canada