How do I set up pre-authorization for guests' credit cards?
To comply with European consumer law, we’re asking all our partners to update their pre-authorization settings by September 1, 2019.
Under these laws, you’ll need to state whether or not you pre-authorize your guests’ cards – and if so, by how much and when.
For more info on all the changes you’ll need to make before September 1, take a look at our article on the new requirements.
Pre-authorization lets you hold a (usually small) amount on a guest’s credit card between booking and arrival. This also lets you check if the card is valid. If it isn’t, you can request new details from the guest (to be sent within 24 hours), or make any necessary changes to the booking. Pre-authorization is also a good option to help reduce the chance of no-shows. It’s easy to set up – just take a look below:
- Log in to the Booking.com Extranet.
- Click the Property tab on the Extranet and select Policies.
- In the blue box, select Set pre-authorization preferences, fill out the necessary details, then click Save.
If the guest’s card is showing as invalid, please read this article.
Note: Pre-authorization is not the same as prepayment. Prepayment is when the guest is charged in advance. Pre-authorization is just a hold on their credit card. To find out more about prepayment, check out this article.
Guest Policies & Payments
- Setting up no-credit card details on your most flexible rate
- Can I set up the same policies for all of my properties all at once?
- How can I set up a grace period?
- How can I change the breakfast type?
- No credit card details for domestic bookers
- Managing my services charges
- Last-minute bookings without credit cards
- How can I update my property's WiFi internet settings on the Extranet?
- How can I make changes to my property's settings?
- Why are there restrictions for setting up policies?
- Can I change or add policies myself?
- What types of policies can I set up?
- How to set up policies, rooms, rates, and facilities for children
- Adding and changing cancellation policies
- Making changes to your parking policies
- How do I set up "no credit card details for domestic bookers"?
- How do I handle property damage by guests?
- How can I view guest credit card details using Pulse?
- Do I supply guests with invoices?
- How can I access guest credit card details?
- How do I set up pre-authorization for guests' credit cards?
- How can I set up a damage deposit?
- How do I mark a credit card as invalid?
- How do I change my payment preferences and which credit cards I accept?
- How do I make changes to deposit and pre-payment information?
- I want to set up a prepayment deposit. How can I do this?
- How do I handle guest payments?
- The guest hasn't paid the deposit/pre-payment. Can I cancel the booking?
- What is Strong Customer Authentication?
- Can I charge credit card and/or payment fees on bookings I receive through Booking.com?
- Can I mark credit cards as invalid in Pulse?
- Introducing payment solutions from Booking.com
- Payments: FAQs and all you need to know
- How do I join Payments by Booking.com?
- How much does using Payments by Booking.com cost?
- What to know about virtual credit cards (VCCs)
- Temporary changes for virtual credit card activation date (VCC)
- How and when do I refund a virtual credit card (VCC) ?
- Cost savings and earlier activation dates for virtual credit cards
- Card validation and fee collection solution
- Card validation and fee collection solution for connected partners