All you need to know about quality ratings
In 2019, we introduced a quality rating system for a variety of properties on our platform. Guests can filter homes and apartment-like properties based on their ratings and easily find accommodations that match their needs.
In this article
What is a quality rating?
A quality rating is similar to—but not the same as—a hotel star rating. It’s a score out of five that resembles a star rating, but is displayed as a yellow tile next to your property name in search results and on your property page.
How are quality ratings created?
Quality ratings are created by combining factors like the accuracy of property info on the Extranet, which can be divided into five major categories:
- Facilities, amenities, and/or services
- Property configuration, such as unit size, number of rooms, and occupancy
- The number and quality of your photos
- The average guest review score
- Anonymized and aggregated historical booking data
To achieve a positive rating, we recommend that you:
- Make sure all facilities and amenities listed are correct per room or unit
- Configure all room or unit sizes and capacity correctly
- Describe your property as accurately as possible
Find more info on your quality rating on the Extranet.
Which types of properties can get a quality rating?
There are 11 property types on our platform that can receive a quality rating:
- Vacation homes
- Guest houses
- Country houses
- Farm stays
For all categories besides the first three—apartments, vacation homes, and villas—this rating only applies to properties with private units and without shared facilities.
To be included in this rating system, your property must have:
- All rooms or units marked as open and bookable
- No existing star rating on the Extranet
- If your property has a guest review score, it needs an overall cleanliness score of 6.0 or higher
Once you receive a quality rating, you’ll be notified by a banner on the Extranet.
Can I remove this rating from my property page?
There’s currently no option to remove the rating from your property page.
How do I find my property rating?
Find your quality rating on the Extranet by following these steps:
- Log in to the Extranet
- Click Property
- Click Quality Rating/Property Page Score
If your property hasn’t received a quality rating yet, you’ll only be able to view your Property page score. Even if you have a quality rating, your Property page score can still be found on this page.
On this page, you’ll also see your Highlights – a selection of categories that have the biggest influence on your quality rating. However, other facilities, amenities, and services are still important, so you should regularly check if they’re up to date.
The Suggestions section shows tailored recommendations on which facilities and/or amenities could increase the quality of your property. This feature is currently only available for apartments, vacation homes, and villas.
The Property page score is an essential part of the quality rating – the higher your Property page score, the higher your quality rating.
How frequently is the info on this page updated?
The quality rating isn’t updated instantly, but on a rolling basis. When you update your settings on the Extranet, it can take some time before changes are reflected in your rating.
Is this system applicable to properties all over the world?
All eligible properties can be included in this rating system, no matter where they’re located.
Which factors influence my quality rating?
Your rating is based on many variables, such as the size and location of your property, the amenities and facilities you offer, and your guest review scores. These ratings are periodically updated to be as accurate as possible.
Is this system replacing guest reviews?
No, this rating system is designed to complement reviews. Similar to hotel star ratings, the quality rating helps potential guests find what they’re looking for with more ease and accuracy by letting them know what to expect at each property.
Which guests will see my rating?
All guests browsing our platform, including via our mobile app, will be able to view property quality ratings.
I don’t have a quality rating. What should I do to get one?
Once your property’s eligibility has been verified, your quality rating will be displayed next to your property name on your property page.
I manage multiple properties with almost identical facilities. Why do they have different ratings?
Each property’s rating is based on the info you’ve provided on the Extranet and guest review scores. If your properties have different ratings, it’s because one or more of these criteria differ.
How are the Highlights generated?
We analyze over 400 features including facilities, amenities, services, interior photos, and unit configuration, then highlight the categories that set you apart from properties around you.
Are there any changes to the Property page score?
There are no changes to how your Property page score is calculated, and it continues to function as before.
Your Property Page Content
- How do I create the perfect property page?
- How to change or update your property address
- Adding, changing, and updating my contact details
- Changing your property description
- How can I update my property's facilities?
- How can I add information to “The fine print?”
- How can I change information about my internet connection?
- How to rename your property listing title
- How do I change my position on the map?
- How to let your guests know when a facility is temporarily closed
- All you need to know about quality ratings
- How do I get my property’s coordinates from Google Maps?
- How do I show guests what I do to protect them from the coronavirus?
- Updating your sustainability practices
- Guest Q&A feature
- Displaying cleanliness measures
- What is the Work-Friendly Program?
- How to update check-in services
- Optimizing the traveler search experience to boost visibility
- How to use the room differentiation tool to generate more high-value bookings
- Updating your swimming pool facility details
- Updating your property page
- What photos do I need for my home, apartment or vacation rental?
- What photos do I need to attract more families to my property?
- What photos do I need for my hotel?
- What are guest-generated photos?
- How do I add, change, and update my property photos?
- How do I rotate photos?
- Why are some photos not showing on my page?
- How to take better photos of your property
- How can I add photos of specific rooms or units?
- How do I tag my photos?
- Understanding the smart ordering feature
- How can I change my main photo?
- How do I change the order of my photos?
- How can I delete a photo?