Updating your sustainability practices
Travel has the power to transform lives for the better, but every trip also has an environmental, social, and economic impact. We’re committed to reducing these as much as possible, but we can’t do it alone.
In this article
To make it easier for everyone to make sustainable choices, we created a simplified, accessible model to help you start your sustainability journey.
Working together with non-profit Travalyst and the Sustainable Hospitality Alliance—a consortium of chief executives from ten global hotel companies—we developed and identified practices in the hospitality industry that can create positive change.
You’ll find 32 sustainability practices in the Extranet’s Facilities & services section. You can indicate whether or not you carry out each of these practices at your property. They’re divided into five categories:
- Energy and greenhouse gases
- Supporting local communities
- Protecting nature
You can learn more about these categories in our Sustainability Handbook in the Partner Hub.
- Log in to the Extranet
- Click Property, then Facilities & services
- Scroll down to the Sustainability practices section
- Click Yes next to the practices you currently have in place at your property
- Click No for those you don’t
- Click Save to display this info on your property page (Note: It may take some time before the changes go live)
We only show travelers the sustainability practices you have in place, not the ones you don’t. Selecting No still helps us to understand which practices you and other partners don’t have in place yet, so we can identify the areas where we can support you further.
If you work with a connectivity provider, you can also add sustainability practices to your property page via their platform.
Reach out to your provider to ask about displaying your sustainability practices on our platform.
If you’ve implemented practices that aren’t listed on the Extranet or you’d like to starting implementing certain practices but don’t know how to get started, let us know by following these steps:
- Log in to the Extranet
- Click Property, then select Sustainability practices
- Click on Share your feedback
- Fill out the form and click Submit
You won’t receive a response to submissions via this form, but we’ll keep your feedback in mind when we make future updates to the sustainability practices available on the Extranet.
Getting certified isn’t a requirement for operating more sustainably. But it’s a great way to take your sustainability commitment to the next level.
We currently display sustainability certification info from these three accreditation bodies:
- Green Tourism
- EU Ecolabel
- All certifications accredited or recognized by the GSTC (click here for the full list of certifications)
We receive certification info directly from these organizations twice a year. If you’re certified by one of them, we’ll display that info in your property page’s sustainability section. If you can’t see your certification, contact the certification body directly.
We encourage partners with certifications to also display the sustainable practices at their property by adding them on the Extranet.
We’re working to add info from more certification bodies to our platform. If you hold an accredited sustainability certification from another organization and you’d like to display it on your property page, you can ask the certification body to make a request using this form.
We’re also working with the Global Sustainable Tourism Council to improve how we display certifications on our platform, so guests looking for a sustainable stay can easily identify certified properties.
To learn more about getting certified, take a look at our Sustainability Handbook.
We work directly with our Chains team to collect and display hotel info from eligible chain sustainability programs. For a chain’s program to be eligible, it must be compulsory for all hotels shown under the chain code in our system. All the properties also need to use the same brand name.
If there are levels to the chain program (e.g. bronze, silver, gold), all hotels within the chain must achieve at least the minimum level. Travalyst’s independent advisory group reviews all program to decide which ones are eligible.
If you’d like your chain’s sustainability program to be displayed on our platform, you’ll need to reach out to your Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) team so they can contact us directly.
Your Property Page Content
- How do I create the perfect property page?
- How to change or update your property address
- How can I change my contact details?
- Changing your property description
- How can I update my property's facilities?
- How can I add info to "The fine print"?
- How can I change information about my internet connection?
- How to rename your property listing title
- How do I change my position on the map?
- All you need to know about the Quality Rating for home and apartment-like properties
- How do I get my property’s coordinates from Google Maps?
- How do I show guests what I do to protect them from the coronavirus?
- Updating your sustainability practices
- Guest Q&A feature
- Displaying cleanliness measures
- What is the Work-Friendly Program?
- How to update check-in services
- Optimizing the traveler search experience to boost visibility
- Updating your swimming pool facility details
- What photos do I need for my home, apartment or vacation rental?
- What photos do I need to attract more families to my property?
- What photos do I need for my hotel?
- What are guest-generated photos?
- How do I add, change, and update my property photos?
- How do I rotate photos?
- Why are some photos not showing on my page?
- How to take better photos of your property
- How can I add photos of specific rooms or units?
- How do I tag my photos?
- Why is the order of photos different on my property page and the Extranet?
- How can I change my main photo?
- How do I change the order of my photos?
- How can I delete a photo?
- How to let your guests know when a facility is temporarily closed