Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
Travelers searching on our platform want to feel confident that their bookings are flexible enough to adapt to changing circumstances. Allowing changes to non-refundable bookings can help you tap into the demand for flexibility while remaining in control of your revenue, workload, and cash flow.
In this article
How date changes for non-refundable bookings work
Most guests on our platform book flexible rates in case they have to change their plans at the last minute. More than half of all cancellations come from guests who want to modify their booking due to date change needs. However, we understand that you also need security for your revenue.
That’s why we offer a date change for non-refundable bookings. It allows guests one change to their stay dates, without affecting the rest of their reservation. This added assurance reduces the risk of cancellations.
By enhancing your non-refundable rate with some flexibility, you benefit from secure revenue while also offering guests the confidence that you’ll be able to accommodate their needs.
Conditions for date changes for non-refundable bookings
The easiest way to guarantee your revenue is to automate the process for date changes for non-refundable bookings. Once you do this, guests will only be able to change dates under certain conditions. They’ll also be able to see the option on your property page.
Here are the conditions for date changes:
- Guests can only reschedule for the same or a higher price
- Their booking conditions won’t change
- They can only change the dates of their booking once
- Their changes can only reflect real-time availability, rates, and restrictions
You can also add additional restrictions, keeping you in control of the whole process. For example, you could limit how far in advance a guest can change dates – up to three, five, or seven days before check-in. You could also set block dates for when a guest can’t change dates.
Setting up date changes for non-refundable bookings
Here’s how to automate changes for non-refundable bookings:
- Log in to the Extranet
- Click Property, then Policies
- Under Date changes for non-refundable bookings, click Edit
- Check the box that allows guests to change dates, then select the deadline for making changes
- Add exceptions to the date changes if necessary
- Click Update preferences to save
Your Rates & Availability
- Syncing your Booking.com calendar to third-party calendars
- Configuring auto-replenishment on closed rooms and units
- Copying your yearly rates to next year
- How do I update my rates and availability?
- How can I update my availability?
- Updating your rates and availability
- Pausing your listing temporarily
- Supporting refugees from Ukraine
- Setting up dorm rooms
- Setting up “No arrivals” and “No departures” restrictions
- How can I set or update room rates for different occupancies?
- Changing a room or unit name
- How to add, open, close, and delete rooms or units
- Changing a room or unit type
- Setting up derived pricing
- How can I set up rate level occupancy?
- How can I add a rate to one or more room types?
- Changing the maximum guest occupancy for individual rooms or units
- Changing room facilities
- Setting up and updating pricing per guest
- Adding or editing rates for rooms and units
- Upselling your rooms
- Combining discounts from different rate plans and promotions
- Setting up deals and promotions
- Adding and editing meal plan info
- Setting up a Secret Deal
- Setting up a Non-Refundable Rate
- Setting up a new rate plan
- Setting up Mobile Rates
- Creating meal plan packages for ryokans
- Adding or updating an existing policy to Flexible – 1 Day
- Activating the Limited-time Deal
- Setting up Early Booker and Last-Minute Deals
- Setting up Weekly Rate Plans
- Setting up Country Rates
- How to use the Genius free breakfast promotion
- Setting up a Basic Deal
- Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
- Setting up Flash Deals
- How to set up flexible children rates for your property
- Setting up US State Rates
- Understanding the Getaway Deal
- Setting up Monthly Rate Plans
- Understanding long-stay policies
- Setting up an Early Booker Rate Plan
- Setting up Early 2023 Deals
- Flexible children rates – per-child pricing explained
- Using your availability, rate plans, and policies to increase bookings
- Setting up a protected rate
- Late Escape Deal promotion
- Everything you need to know about the New Property Deal
- Setting up Black Friday Deals