Upselling your rooms
Room upselling, also known as a “paid upgrade,” means offering your confirmed guests the opportunity to upgrade their reservations. It’s a great way to increase revenue with minimal effort. Find out what you need to do to upsell your rooms.
What's in this article
How room upselling works
Upselling usually involves offering guests access to different rooms with better amenities and facilities.
Although upselling rooms can also occur at the moment of check-in (e.g. with your front-desk staff), there’s a greater opportunity to increase revenue and reduce errors by automating and offering room upgrades to guests before they get to your property.
Upselling your rooms
To help you upsell your rooms, we built a room upsell feature. This is available to all our partners as part of the normal commission. The only action required from you is to add all your rooms on the Extranet.
Once you add all your available rooms, we will:
- Automate sending of upgrade offers to your guests, so timing is just right and they receive your offers when it matters most to them
- Guide guest decision-making through clear side-by-side comparisons of their current reservations and your upgrade offers, based on your available rooms
- Integrate handling of your calendar and availability so that your rooms are instantly released upon upgrades, double-bookings can never occur, and rooms are never blocked following a successful room upsell
Of course, room upselling is only possible if you have multiple room types to begin with. If your property fits this description, all you need to do is add all your rooms on the Extranet to benefit from our room upsell feature.
What happens when a guest accepts an upsell offer?
When a guest accepts an upsell offer and their booking is modified, a notification is automatically added to your reservation details page. This modification notice will explain the details of the change.
There will be no change to the reservation confirmation number, guest details, dates, or number of guests.
We’ll automatically send the guest a confirmation of their booking modification when it’s made.
Eligibility criteria for room upselling
A reservation is only eligible for upsell if:
- The guest chose to pay at the property
- The reservation is made on flexible or non-refundable policies where the partner has set a grace period, and the guest accepts the upsell offer within that specific grace period.
- There’s a higher priced room available in your property with the same occupancy and bed configuration
How the room differentiation tool can help you upsell rooms
The Extranet’s room differentiation tool helps you get more bookings for your more expensive room and unit types. This tool works by helping travelers find the rooms and units at your property that are best suited to them. To do this, it helps you highlight the features that make each room or unit distinct from the others.
Here are some of the benefits of using the room differentiator tool:
- If your rooms or units have attributes or amenities that are distinct from one another, guests are more likely to book a more expensive option if it’s clear what they’ll get for the extra money
- When you highlight particular features or amenities, your property may also be more visible in search results for travelers who are looking for those features.
- Clarifying the differences between your rooms and units may also encourage more guests to choose a paid upgrade to a more expensive option between booking and checking in.
- Providing extra clarity about what’s available in each room or unit may save you time by helping reduce the number of messages you get asking for this info.
Your Rates & Availability
- Syncing your Booking.com calendar to third-party calendars
- Configuring auto-replenishment on closed rooms and units
- Copying your yearly rates to next year
- How do I update my rates and availability?
- How can I update my availability?
- Updating your rates and availability
- Pausing your listing temporarily
- Supporting refugees from Ukraine
- Setting up dorm rooms
- Setting up “No arrivals” and “No departures” restrictions
- How can I set or update room rates for different occupancies?
- Changing a room or unit name
- How to add, open, close, and delete rooms or units
- Changing a room or unit type
- Setting up derived pricing
- How can I set up rate level occupancy?
- How can I add a rate to one or more room types?
- Changing the maximum guest occupancy for individual rooms or units
- Changing room facilities
- Setting up and updating pricing per guest
- Adding or editing rates for rooms and units
- Upselling your rooms
- Combining discounts from different rate plans and promotions
- Setting up deals and promotions
- Adding and editing meal plan info
- Setting up a Secret Deal
- Setting up a Non-Refundable Rate
- Setting up a new rate plan
- Setting up Mobile Rates
- Creating meal plan packages for ryokans
- Adding or updating an existing policy to Flexible – 1 Day
- Activating the Limited-time Deal
- Setting up Early Booker and Last-Minute Deals
- Setting up Weekly Rate Plans
- Setting up Country Rates
- How to use the Genius free breakfast promotion
- Setting up a Basic Deal
- Changing dates for non-refundable bookings
- Setting up Flash Deals
- How to set up flexible children rates for your property
- Setting up US State Rates
- Understanding the Getaway Deal
- Setting up Monthly Rate Plans
- Understanding long-stay policies
- Setting up an Early Booker Rate Plan
- Setting up Early 2022 Deals
- Flexible children rates – per-child pricing explained
- Using your availability, rate plans, and policies to increase bookings
- Setting up a protected rate
- Late Escape Deal promotion