What’s the “Right of Regret” in Brazil?
The Right of Regret refers to Article 49 of Statute 8.078/90 of the Brazilian Consumer Defense Code (CDC). This law allows consumers to withdraw from a contract within seven days and receive a full refund of any payments made. It applies to payments made for both products and services – including accommodation reservations.
How does this affect properties in Brazil?
Under this law, Brazilian guests have the right to cancel reservations at Brazilian properties for free up to seven days after the booking confirmation date, regardless of the property’s cancellation policy. If the check-in date is less than seven days after booking, guests can cancel for free until 11 am on the check-in date. If a guest changes their check-in date, this law still applies from the original booking confirmation date.
What do I need to do?
If you have a property located in Brazil, you’re responsible for refunding all reservations made in Brazil that are canceled within this seven-day period. To minimize the impact on your operations, we recommend only charging a guest’s credit card seven days after their booking confirmation date. If any charges are made earlier than the first seven days, you’ll need to issue a full refund if a guest requests it.
Here’s how to see which reservations are no longer in the seven-day window and which ones you can charge:
- Log in to the Extranet.
- Click Reservations.
- Click Date of, then select Reservation from the drop-down menu.
- Count back eight days from today, then enter that date in the Until field (e.g. today is January 1, 2021, then you’d enter December 24, 2020 in this field).
- Click Show.
You can charge reservations that appear in this filter without the risk of refunding them later due to this law.
- Setting up minimum length of stay and minimum advance reservation restrictions using Pulse
- Setting guest requirements for bookings
- How can I set up a "minimum advance reservation" and "maximum advance reservation"?
- How can I stop guests from booking and arriving on the same day?
- How do I set a minimum or maximum length of stay restriction?
- What kind of reservation restrictions can I set up?
- How do I set up minimum and maximum advance reservations?
- How do I stop guests from booking reservations and arriving on the same day?
- How do I set up a minimum or maximum length of stay restrictions?
- Setting up reservation restrictions
- How do I set up a minimum or maximum length of stay from arrival?
- Can I cancel reservations using Pulse?
- If a guest asks me to cancel a reservation, what action can I take using Pulse?
- If a guest asks me to cancel a reservation, what action should I take on the Extranet?
- Can I cancel a reservation?
- If I want to waive cancellation fees, how can I do it?
- Temporary changes to help you manage Date Modifications
- Changing a guest's reservation dates during Force Majeure
- Guest incentives to rebook the same property after COVID-19 cancellations
- What’s the “Right of Regret” in Brazil?